MD chances (35 MCAT, 3.65 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwk18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'll be applying to medical school next summer, and I've been thinking a lot about strategies for where I should apply based on my numbers. Because of something an advisor once said to be, I've always been a bit worried about my GPA, which is a 3.65. Best case scenario, I could raise it to a 3.7, but I don't want to count on that. I recently got a 35 on the MCAT. Work as a research assistant and have been involved in various volunteer activities.

At the moment, these are the school's I'm considering. IDEALLY, I would end up at the Medical College of WI, but have MI residency.

Albany (NY)
Rosalind Franklin University (IL)
Creighton University (NB)
Loyola University (IL)
Medical College of WI
MI State
Oakland-Beaumont University (MI)
Wayne State University (MI)
Western MI University
Central MI University
Carver (IA)
University of ND
University of Rochester (NY)
University of VT

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions! :)
Thanks!

-Miranda

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know what your adviser said to you, but 3.7 is around average at most schools outside of the top 10 AFAIK.... I just looked up the U Michigan GPA average and it's 3.75. Your MCAT is excellent and your GPA is good. If you can get some more research on your app, I would recommend you add a few top 20 schools into the mix.

i don't know what your adviser said to you, but 3.7 is around average at most schools outside of the top 10 afaik.... I just looked up the u michigan gpa average and it's 3.75. Your mcat is excellent and your gpa is good. If you can get some more research on your app, i would recommend you add a few top 20 schools into the mix.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what your adviser said to you, but 3.7 is around average at most schools outside of the top 10 AFAIK.... I just looked up the U Michigan GPA average and it's 3.75. Your MCAT is excellent and your GPA is good. If you can get some more research on your app, I would recommend you add a few top 20 schools into the mix.

I agree. A 3.7 is a fine GPA. At least add University of Michigan, and probably a few other schools.

You definitely are a good candidate for UM, so do apply. since you're not a ND resident, strike that one from the list, as they heavily favor in-state people.

If you have good ECs, add U Chicago and Northwestern to the list. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I'll be applying to medical school next summer, and I've been thinking a lot about strategies for where I should apply based on my numbers. Because of something an advisor once said to be, I've always been a bit worried about my GPA, which is a 3.65. Best case scenario, I could raise it to a 3.7, but I don't want to count on that. I recently got a 35 on the MCAT. Work as a research assistant and have been involved in various volunteer activities.

At the moment, these are the school's I'm considering. IDEALLY, I would end up at the Medical College of WI, but have MI residency.

Albany (NY)
Rosalind Franklin University (IL)
Loyola University (IL)
Medical College of WI
MI State
Oakland-Beaumont University (MI)
Wayne State University (MI)
Western MI University
Central MI University
Carver (IA)
University of ND
University of Rochester (NY)
University of VT

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions! :)
Thanks!

-Miranda

Hi everyone,

-Miranda

Pump the brakes! The 2 letter abbreviation for Nebraska is NE!!
:)

(also, go Huskers)

Seriously though, as someone who grew up across the street from Creighton University, I can tell you that in order to be an ideal candidate at Creighton, you need to demonstrate your dedication to public service and "cura personalis" (35 helps but it's not enough). They want tons of non-clinical volunteering as well as clinical work.

Your stats are awesome though! You will be good to go with this list.