WAMC: 3.78/3.65 gpa, 513 MCAT , URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ga_med2719

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you connected with any organization focused on Black Men in medicine? SNMA? Have you been involved with pipeline programs like SHPEP?

Assuming you have a strong application profile and essays, you should get some attention.

As for your list:
Why UCSF? That's a real outlier as your only west coast school on your list.
I don't think Vanderbilt is as much of a reach as you think, and Duke should be worth a shot.

If you have Drexel, why not Temple?

Are you connected with any organization focused on Black Men in medicine? SNMA? Have you been involved with pipeline programs like SHPEP?

Assuming you have a strong application profile and essays, you should get some attention.

As for your list:
Why UCSF? That's a real outlier as your only west coast school on your list.
I don't think Vanderbilt is as much of a reach as you think, and Duke should be worth a shot.

If you have Drexel, why not Temple?
I haven't been in connected with any of the orgs listed. I follow a few of the SNMA pages for my IS schools on instagram, but how would you recommend moving forward after getting in contact.

After posting in a subreddit and doing some research, I liked what UCSF had to offer and decided to shoot my shot. I would prefer to stay in the SE though, so I didn't add schools from the area. I appreciate the feedback on Duke and Vandy! That's reassuring to hear. As for Temple, I didn't really hear about their program, but I'll definitely do some research and potentially add it.

Thanks for the response!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been in connected with any of the orgs listed. I follow a few of the SNMA pages for my IS schools on instagram, but how would you recommend moving forward after getting in contact.
You can just email the SNMA chapters. Introduce yourself as a premed Black male who wants feedback on your school list. Let's see what response you get.

You could add any of these schools to your list:
USF Morsani
Tulane
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Case Western
Cincinnati
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
U Virginia
Pittsburgh
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Boston University
Tufts
Harvard
Brown
Yale

Thank you! So you think it would be worth applying to top-heavy schools with my stats being in the 10th percentile?

Thank you! So you think it would be worth applying to top-heavy schools with my stats being in the 10th percentile?
You are competitive for all those schools. The Black applicant pool is small and there are only approximately 100 applicants per year with GPA of 3.6 or higher AND a MCAT of 513+. There are over 150 MD schools competing for only 100 of those applicants in that stat range.

You are competitive for all those schools. The Black applicant pool is small and there are only approximately 100 applicants per year with GPA of 3.6 or higher AND a MCAT of 513+. There are over 150 MD schools competing for only 100 of those applicants in that stat range.
That makes sense! I've heard that before, but do you have a link to where I could read more on that. I'm surprised to see that the number of applicants is so low. And thanks for the input!

That makes sense! I've heard that before, but do you have a link to where I could read more on that. I'm surprised to see that the number of applicants is so low. And thanks for the input!
Here is the AMCAS data from several year ago (they have not updated for several years- 513 equals 33 on the old MCAT).

Attachments

• GPAMCATGridblack2015.pdf
    221.8 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 1 users
It is that low. There is a strategic focus on recruiting more Blacks and especially Black males into and staying in medicine (and other healthcare fields). That's why I asked about the mentoring groups because there are a LOT of them that are filled with faculty, current practitioners, residents, and medical students seeking to strengthen and expand the community of Black men in medicine.

It is that low. There is a strategic focus on recruiting more Blacks and especially Black males into and staying in medicine (and other healthcare fields). That's why I asked about the mentoring groups because there are a LOT of them that are filled with faculty, current practitioners, residents, and medical students seeking to strengthen and expand the community of Black men in medicine.
Interesting, I'll definitely look into reaching out!

@Faha @Mr.Smile12 Given the SCOTUS decision, do you think I should add any schools/not commit to any secondaries. Here's the schools I sent primaries to so far. Submitted June 15th so I was still deciding on adding reaches before verification.

Augusta (MCG)
Emory
Morehouse
USC- Greenville
Meharry
Miami
UCF
Georgetown
Howard
Wake Forest
VCU
Penn State
Drexel
UNC
Pitt
Brown
UCSF
UCLA
Mount Sinai
Case Western
Vanderbilt
Duke

is that likely to remain the case with the supreme court ruling? seems to me it would be risky for a school to continue doing so in the current climate...
Yes. Recruiting is not prohibited by the ruling, and that is the strategy adopted by higher education and the AAMC strategic plan.