MD/DO application timeline question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarshMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick question on whether or not I have enought time for prospective trip:

A few friends and I want to take a extended backpacking trip covering half of the Appalachian Trail, about 1000 mi., and it would take roughly 3 months. Since I am a post-bac and am finished with required classes I am taking upper level Bio's this semester to help my application while working. I had planned on doing the same next semester, but this may truly be a once in a life time oppurtunity.

If we leave in early March we will be back in Early June. Will this interfer with my timeline for submitting applications? Can I write my statements and prepare my application in Feb in prep for being gone for the next 3 months, so that come June 1st I can just have someone click "send"?

Also I would like some of your personal opinions as to whether or not it is worth it in lieu of another upper level bio/biochem. I have not looked into the actual application process all too thoroughly yet since I have been quite busy with work, class, and MCAT prep. I know I'll have to do more digging on my own; I am just trying to get a general idea from some more experienced people.

Thanks,
Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'd be fine for the timeline, though I wonder if you'd be better served writing once you were back or when you were on the trail.

Sounds like an awesome trip.

+1 for the trip, but leaving in early March means you're on snow. Maybe start later and plan a midpoint break to deal w/apps?