MD, DO chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellypaws

Reaction score
503 MCAT score, breakdown of 124/128/125/126 for chem/phys,CARS,bio,psych.
3.7 GPA
Latina/LGBTQ
Extensive research experience at a top institution (MSKCC 2+ years) leading 3 research projects (full time lab tech 40+ hours a week with one medical fellow under me) .
200+ hours teaching undergrads in programs for underrepresented students in science
200+ hours shadowing
60+ clinical volunteering
My personal statement is pretty good. I've had multiple people go through it and tell me it is really moving and it stands out.
Really great recs. One of them from the Dean of Diversity at Mt. Sinai medical school, one from Director of breast surgery at Mt. Sinai St. Luke
I've done extensive summer programs at Mt. Sinai/Columbia (medprep program)

I know I'm on the low end of the MCAT but what are my chances for NY state MD programs? DO programs? more specifically I guess SUNY schools like StonyBrook, Upstate. Maybe some privates like Mt. Sinai or Hofstra? What about DO schools like NYIT-COM?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a NY resident ? Which Latina group are you from ? Are you fluent in Spanish ?

Yep I have lived in NY state most of my life. I am Salvadorean and I am fluent in spanish and english. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I have lived in NY state most of my life. I am Salvadorean and I am fluent in spanish and english. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Any leadership positions?

503 MCAT score, breakdown of 124/128/125/126 for chem/phys,CARS,bio,psych.
3.7 GPA
Latina/LGBTQ
Extensive research experience at a top institution (MSKCC 2+ years) leading 3 research projects (full time lab tech 40+ hours a week with one medical fellow under me) .
200+ hours teaching undergrads in programs for underrepresented students in science
200+ hours shadowing
60+ clinical volunteering
My personal statement is pretty good. I've had multiple people go through it and tell me it is really moving and it stands out.
Really great recs. One of them from the Dean of Diversity at Mt. Sinai medical school, one from Director of breast surgery at Mt. Sinai St. Luke
I've done extensive summer programs at Mt. Sinai/Columbia (medprep program)

I know I'm on the low end of the MCAT but what are my chances for NY state MD programs? DO programs? more specifically I guess SUNY schools like StonyBrook, Upstate. Maybe some privates like Mt. Sinai or Hofstra? What about DO schools like NYIT-COM?
You're fine for any DO school (except the ones on my Bad Boy list) and you should try ALL NY schools. JHU, U Chicago consider LGBT URM, BTW.

I suggest all these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai (because of your connections there)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
St. Louis
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several that appeal to you. NYIT and PCOM are good choices.

Any leadership positions?

all my research projects. I'm the head of all 3 projects and head of the TC department within the developmental bio dept. I asked my boss to talk about that in my rec so hopefully that comes through. I manage all aspects of every project and I manage a medical fellow and two grad students. I'm the person who presents our projects at talks and makes decisions about the paper we are writing where I'll be the first author. I'm also the person who is in charge with meeting with the clinicians/nurse/pathologist/collaborators for our translational research project. Basically, half of my time is spent leading our research team. I know it's odd but I've been in that lab since my first year of college and I'm two years out of medical school so basically 5 going on 6 years.

I suggest all these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai (because of your connections there)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
St. Louis
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several that appeal to you. NYIT and PCOM are good choices.

ooooh I see a few I didn't have on my list. Thanks so much!