MD essay vs. MD/PhD essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quail man

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how schools deal with the AMCAS essays? I am applying to MD/PhD and MD programs at the same universities, and I am wondering if I can use some good parts from my MD essay in my MD/PhD essay. Of course, if the MD/PhD committee reads both essays, it would be foolish to repeat myself, but if they only read the MD/PhD essay, then it would be helpful to re-use a couple of great sentences. Please help me out if you know how this works. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

they definitely will read both. I used an ancedote in both essays and kind of explained what it meant to me in two different ways for each essay. There can be some overlap but don't repeat yourself in terms of analysis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, they do read both. I would try to have as little overlap as possible.

I'm struggling to figure out how detailed the description of my research should be in the AMCAS MD/PhD essay. We're restricted to 3,000 characters, so I don't feel like I can say too much. Also, since the MD only committee will be reading the essay, I don't feel like making it overwhelmingly technical in nature.

Any suggestions? My draft gives the important conclusions of my research and only briefly alludes to their (possible) significance.

as06 said:
I'm struggling to figure out how detailed the description of my research should be in the AMCAS MD/PhD essay. We're restricted to 3,000 characters, so I don't feel like I can say too much. Also, since the MD only committee will be reading the essay, I don't feel like making it overwhelmingly technical in nature.

Any suggestions? My draft gives the important conclusions of my research and only briefly alludes to their (possible) significance.

My MDPhD essay is very brief on the research, rather it talked about how I want to be a physician scientist based on research experience described at a high level. The research experience essay is more detailed in what research I did under each PI, but I reerenced the Work/Activites for more detailed descriptions of each topic.

Wrong way? Right way? ideas?

durfen said:
My MDPhD essay is very brief on the research, rather it talked about how I want to be a physician scientist based on research experience described at a high level. The research experience essay is more detailed in what research I did under each PI, but I reerenced the Work/Activites for more detailed descriptions of each topic.

Wrong way? Right way? ideas?
Sounds like a good plan. The MDPhD essay should focus on your career goals, and motivations for pursuing the MDPhD (and not just MD or PhD).

cool cool~ it seems like we are starting to figure out what md/phd essay is like =) excellent help. However, I have a question on 10,000 character research essay (btw, is it 10,000 with space or without space?). How detailed of your research does it have to be? I heard that it's more like story telling of why u went to do that research, what kind of data you got. So more like "story telling" of your research experience from UW admission people. But from others, I've also got response that you shoudl be thoroughly describnig your research. What to do what to do. Can anyone answer this question? Thank you~~~ =)

byong_soo said:
cool cool~ it seems like we are starting to figure out what md/phd essay is like =) excellent help. However, I have a question on 10,000 character research essay (btw, is it 10,000 with space or without space?). How detailed of your research does it have to be? I heard that it's more like story telling of why u went to do that research, what kind of data you got. So more like "story telling" of your research experience from UW admission people. But from others, I've also got response that you shoudl be thoroughly describnig your research. What to do what to do. Can anyone answer this question? Thank you~~~ =)
All of the character limits include spaces and carriage returns, etc. When describing your reserach, I think that the rationale is the most important part...why did you do your research? what were the potential benefits? what question were you trying to answer? Definitely DO describe the experimental plan you conducted, but descibe it at a level of detail that an average scientist from any bio background can understand. If someone wants to drill you on the minute details, it'll be at the interview stage.

Bluntman said:
All of the character limits include spaces and carriage returns, etc. When describing your reserach, I think that the rationale is the most important part...why did you do your research? what were the potential benefits? what question were you trying to answer? Definitely DO describe the experimental plan you conducted, but descibe it at a level of detail that an average scientist from any bio background can understand. If someone wants to drill you on the minute details, it'll be at the interview stage.

I've just rewritten my research experience essay. Now I've written it more like a paper than a listing, talking about all the research as if it were part of a larger goal, with intro, middle, conclusion etc. Ech.

Bluntman said:
Sounds like a good plan. The MDPhD essay should focus on your career goals, and motivations for pursuing the MDPhD (and not just MD or PhD).

:thumbup: This is a great thread. My Md/PHD did not really go into any detail on my research, I saved that for the research essay. Instead I wrote about why I wanted I wanted both degrees and not just one or the other. Let's hope this works. I don't know if adcomms even know exactly what to expect from these essays since their inclusion on AMCAS is relatively new. We just have to try our best, see what happens, and then come back and give advice for next year's applicants. :)