MD failure hurt DO chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
would failing to be accepted 2x from allopathic medical schools hurt your chances of gaining acceptance to a D.O school? Do D.O. schools know that you have apply previously to M.D. schools?

Members don't see this ad.

sdnstud said:
would failing to be accepted 2x from allopathic medical schools hurt your chances of gaining acceptance to a D.O school? Do D.O. schools know that you have apply previously to M.D. schools?

Might want to ask in the DO forum about this question before it turns into another "versus thread"

Quick answers....what made you change your mind to apply the second year...and no you do not have to tell the school you applied unless the specifically ask you to. Its your own word then. The two applications are seperate.

well first of all, why are you waiting until now to apply to D.O. schools? I mean are you applying just to get in or is it really what you want? well I would guess and say that the adcoms will think that its not what you really want or you would've applied previously along with the M.D. schools. I would say go ahead and research the D.O. philosophy and apply, it couldn't hurt anything. Just get in!!! good luck with the process :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
there is no way the DO schools will know you applied to MD schools unless you tell them.

I just got into a DO school, though it is what I wanted. The single biggest question to ask yourself is why did you NOT get into a MD school. If you can correct that deficiency then you should be able to gain accpetance at either.

sistahnik said:
well first of all, why are you waiting until now to apply to D.O. schools? I mean are you applying just to get in or is it really what you want? well I would guess and say that the adcoms will think that its not what you really want or you would've applied previously along with the M.D. schools. I would say go ahead and research the D.O. philosophy and apply, it couldn't hurt anything. Just get in!!! good luck with the process :thumbup:

I did not apply to DO last cycle because I prefer to go to a M.D. school. Why? Because i believe M.D schools give me a better education and do a better job at preparing me to be a good Dr. However, if i can't get in to a MD school, I don't mind going to DO. I know that sounds horrible...but man....I just want to practice medicine. I've been an EMT and a phlebotomist...it's just not enough. I need something more...i wanna be a doctor!!!

sdnstud said:
I did not apply to DO last cycle because I prefer to go to a M.D. school. Why? Because i believe M.D schools give me a better education and do a better job at preparing me to be a good Dr.
First you have to get this incorrect opinion out of your mind. You will get the same exact education as an MD plus you will learn something extra in the form of OMM.

If you choose your rotation sites right, you can get the same quality clinical education. It can be argued that you can become a better doctor in terms of being able to better help your patients if you incorporate OMM as a DO.

With that said, it is a shame you didn't apply DO the first or even the 2nd time of applying to medical schools. Just think how you would have already been a 4th year by the time you started your first year of DO school if you do get in next cycle. This is truly sad.

I do wish you luck and am glad you finally realized your goal is to become a physician and the DO route is a good alternate route.