MD into OMS residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LR6SO4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A while back I was sure that I saw on some match lists from MD schools people matching into oral surg. Can this happen? Would you have to go through the last 2 yrs of dental school to get a DDS? Has anyone ever heard of this? It seems that if it were common practice or accepted the field would be flooded with MD's given the current trends in medicine, where more and more of these "lifestyle" specialties are popular. I know OMS isn't THAT easy of a life, but hey it beats 120 hour weeks as a general surgeon, especially if you are primarily office based. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Every single Oral Surgeon, atleast the ones I know or have met, have a DDS or DMD degree. Only some have a MD along with a DDS or DMD. MOST Oral Surgeons dont have a MD contrary to what you may read on this board. As a side note there is no differance between the scope of an Oral Surgeon's practice with a DDS or DMD/MD and an Oral Surgeon with only a DDS or DMD. If you have any more question feel free to ask? :D

My understanding is that if the OMS program is willing to take an MD then can get into a program. Back when I was a GPResident I heard of a med student who was interest in facial plastic surgery who wanted to train as an oral surgeon v. general plastics his father was a general dentist if memory serves.

Thanks! I'm going to check this out a little more. I'm in med school but always had this interest in dentistry. Seems like a cool way to combine the two maybe! I'll have to email some program directors as everything that I have read so far is only for DDS's going into OMS.