GPA cut for getting into pediatric residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peach24fruit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the average gpa for needing to get into pediatric residency is? I hear that pediatrics is getting more and more competitive and that a 3.7+ is sufficient. So far my gpa does not even reach a 3.5, and I'm not sure if I should not pursue a specialty at all. Would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on this!

Members don't see this ad.

The real question is what is your rank? 3.7 may not be sufficient if you rank 40

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can definitely match into peds with a 3.5. It just may not be the greatest program

Reactions: 1 users
Wondering what the average gpa for needing to get into pediatric residency is? I hear that pediatrics is getting more and more competitive and that a 3.7+ is sufficient. So far my gpa does not even reach a 3.5, and I'm not sure if I should not pursue a specialty at all. Would appreciate any thoughts/feedback on this!
what year are you in? I agree a GPR will compensate but you could still match into a program imo

As others mentioned, your rank matters more than your GPA especially if it is 3.5+.... for example, 3.5 GPA at school A means 30th percentile, where as School B would have landed you on around 50th percentile.

Since NY has many peds programs, is it possible to get in being in the 50th percentile and being a NY native myself?

When I was applying (6-7 years ago), peds was increasing in popularity if not already. good rule of the thumb back in the day was top half of the class (I was like 40ish/100). Had about five interviews from various programs. Attened a great program in the midwest (hospital, paid, etc).

Big thing that helped me was a strong personal statement, some great rec letters from faculty, and peds involvement (club, volunteering, peds honors, externships). A GPR can definitely help if you find yourself not matching the first time around as your increase in confidence and speed from the GPR will be appealing. However, if you're applying straight out of dental school, I would recommend building out your peds resume to show programs that you are truly interested in it. Many dental schools limit the peds experience to mostly well-behaved kids and straight forward procedures. Deep diving into peds opens up a whole new can of worms (sedation, general anesthesia, pediatric medicine, trauma, growth & development, special needs) so showing them you have researched/shadowed beyond your bread & butter peds will help too. Overall, for peds grades are important but not to the same level as ortho and OS. Peds want residents that are competent enough to pass the boards and graduate but having that "peds personality" is a big plus. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user