MD looking into Hospital Administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zenlife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the incorrect location. I honestly didn't know where to look or post.

I'm starting to lose my interest in pursuing residency and practice, mainly because the match is getting more and more competitive each year.

I'm have a Bachelor's of Science from a US school and an MD from a Caribbean medical school.

I was thinking of venturing off into hospital administration but I have no idea how to go about pursuing that. Can someone guide me?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going the physician route, the easiest way to get into hospital admin is to work as a physician and become involved in the politics and sit on boards/committees and work your way up.

If you want to get an MBA and not go to residency, you would need to go to a top 10-20 MBA program to be considered in big cities. It's still very possible to get into hospital admin from smaller, less prestigious programs, but it is harder in metro areas.

Like most jobs, the better school and connections, the easier it is to get whatever you want.

What's the "career ladder" of an MD hospital administrator?

What do chiefs of divisions and chairs of departments do? Are they chosen more for their clinical expertise or administrative abilities?