MD LORs included in composite letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmaxwell_wsu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was my assumption that I will have a composite letter from my advisor encompassing all of my professor evals and that I will send my letters from MDs individually to each school (confidentially through Interfolio). But after looking at a few school sites it seems like they only want ONE letter.

What are you guys doing about this?

Members don't see this ad.

jmaxwell_wsu said:
It was my assumption that I will have a composite letter from my advisor encompassing all of my professor evals and that I will send my letters from MDs individually to each school (confidentially through Interfolio). But after looking at a few school sites it seems like they only want ONE letter.

No, it is seperate.

You have the composite letter sent in from your school's premed advisory committee, and you have your MD recommender send his letter in seperately through each school. You are correct about your plan.

what if you school does not have a premed advisory committee how do you handle the schools that take only one letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr2010 said:
what if you school does not have a premed advisory committee how do you handle the schools that take only one letter?

What schools say they will take only one letter?

Don't schools require letters from both your school faculty (normally they want 3 references) and a physician?

It wouldn't make any sense to demand one letter.

OSUdoc08 said:
What schools say they will take only one letter?

Don't schools require letters from both your school faculty (normally they want 3 references) and a physician?

It wouldn't make any sense to demand one letter.

I was referring to the Original post where he said something about the school's taking only one letter, sry

Dr2010 said:
I was referring to the Original post where he said something about the school's taking only one letter, sry

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. A lot of schools I have seen require a single letter from the premed committee unless your undergrad doesn't have a premed committee--in which case you are required to submit letters from, depending on the school, something like 2 science and 1 non-science professor.

jmaxwell_wsu said:

I submitted my MD LORs to my PreMed committee. Do you think I should also send those to the individual schools/TMDSAS? I thought that she would include my MD LOR in the composite.

jmaxwell_wsu said:
Sorry, I wasn't more clear. A lot of schools I have seen require a single letter from the premed committee unless your undergrad doesn't have a premed committee--in which case you are required to submit letters from, depending on the school, something like 2 science and 1 non-science professor.

This would be independent of the MD letter.

This if sent seperately, you would have 4 total letters.

chaeymaey said:
I submitted my MD LORs to my PreMed committee. Do you think I should also send those to the individual schools/TMDSAS? I thought that she would include my MD LOR in the composite.

I had my physician letters sent individually to each school. This was after my TMDSAS was already sent in.

I gave the letter from the doctor I shadowed to the pre-med committee along with all the others, and it is included in my composite letter. From everything I have read and been told, this is an appropriate way to go about doing it. It is not necessary to send extra letters to schools outside the composite letter for almost all of the schools (all the ones I've looked at, all the ones my husband applied to, but there may be some that require extra letters). At least from my school, the committee sends the composite letter with the individual letters attached. I'm not sure if that's the way it works everywhere, but if you look at med schools' requirements, they generally say a composite letter is all they're looking for.

I posted but for some reason it didn't bump up the thread.

Also I want to say that a lot of the advice that OSUdoc gives may apply more to TMDSAS than to AMCAS, at least that's how it seems to me. The two systems must be slightly different (I don't know anything about TMDSAS). I just want to clarify that because it sometimes seems a bit confusing.

tigress said:
I posted but for some reason it didn't bump up the thread.

Also I want to say that a lot of the advice that OSUdoc gives may apply more to TMDSAS than to AMCAS, at least that's how it seems to me. The two systems must be slightly different (I don't know anything about TMDSAS). I just want to clarify that because it sometimes seems a bit confusing.

I pretty much did the exact same thing with TMDSAS and AMCAS.

Hope that helps.