Dr. Don

15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2001
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hello all, does someone who is planning on going this route tell me which prep book is good for the GMAT and/or GRE? I'm planning on getting an MBA or an MPH so I know I'll probably need to take these tests sooner or later...thanks for the info,

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Dr. Don
hello all, does someone who is planning on going this route tell me which prep book is good for the GMAT and/or GRE? I'm planning on getting an MBA or an MPH so I know I'll probably need to take these tests sooner or later...thanks for the info,

If you are already in a MD program sometimes you dont need to take the GRE.

About the Ads

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2002
Status (Visible)
LMAO @ doctorcynical.....Anyhow, Dr. Don, I used Kaplan's GMAT book and it seemed to be good. Truthfully speaking, the GMAT was just like the SAT. In fact, it was easier than the SAT because the verbal and the math tested was not as broad as that tested on the SAT. The GMAT is a cake walk compared to the MCAT. From what I recall, critical thinking skills were minimal to non-existent. Hope this helps.

cardsurgguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
I took the GMAT in the fall.
Kaplan's book helped.
The strategies were good, but the best thing was the CD that came with it and the 4 full length practice tests that you take on the computer, which is what the real thing is.
That takes getting use to. For example, the pacing is crucial, since you can't go back to an earlier part in the section. Even if you have 20 minutes leftover, you can't go back to the earlier part of the section. That's the tough part of the test. It's fast. Unlike the MCAT, everybody would get a perfect if this was taken without a time limit, but it is much harder in terms of time constraints than the MCAT.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2002
Status (Visible)
I agree with cardsurgguy. The CD is pretty good. Just like studying for the MCAT, once you have the basic concepts down, continual use of practice tests strengthen your chances at getting a better score, since you go into the test familiar with the test format. In addition, continuous practice builds test taking speed, which can further increase your score.

Dr. Don

15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2001
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
so is the GMAT a computer based test or paper test like the MCAT? thanks for the info guys.

BushBaby

Nipplelina
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you are doing a combined program I am not sure they will need GMAT or GRE scores. They usually ask for your MCAT score (to replace one or both of the other exams)

klooless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
Status (Visible)
At many (if not all) "top" schools (U Penn, Yale, UCLA etc.), they require both GMAT and MCAT. I can't speak for the GRE.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.