MD/MBA Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAK81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is more difficult to get accepted into a medical school if you apply for a joint MBA or MPH degree from the same school? Do both schools have to accept you or can you still get admission into at least one if you are rejected from the other school?

Members don't see this ad.

for many of the schools the admissions process for the dual programs is separate. So if you are applying for the MD/JD program, you will apply separately to med school and law school. If you get accepted to both programs, they will modify ur curriculum for the dual program.

If you got accepted to the MD part only, the you will do med school. If you got in the JD only, you will do the law school.

But if the admissions process is the same, I believe its more difficult.

THe schools are considered separate. However, there are special circumstances with the MD/MBA admissions. They dont expect quite the level of business experience and background as with a typical MBA applicant since they know med school students typically have only research and clinical experience (at least this is what I've heard with USC.) SOmething to consider is how easy it would be to get into one of those other (Law/Business/etc.) schools once you are in the medical school. Some schools let you overide GMAT and GRE requirements with your MCAT! (not mine though :()

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools will let you apply to the mba/jd program at any point before your 3rd year. so you have plenty of time. just plan to take the gmat/lsat at some point prior to application.

Here in tX..md/mba is usually separate. I know baylor med school and rice's jones school of business have a joint program but you have to get admitted to the business school along with baylor. Southwestern has a dual program with utd's cohort mba. TX TEch has a joint md/mba program with their business school in lubbock.

hook 'em hornz...

In case you are wondering what schools have MD/MBA programs, you can check out www.md-mba.org There are over 47 programs listed by state with many other resources on the site!

Mike

from everything ive heard, its pretty much a cinch to get into any MBA program (outside of wharton) once your in the MD program

IndyZX said:
from everything ive heard, its pretty much a cinch to get into any MBA program (outside of wharton) once your in the MD program

To correct two stated misconceptions above:

1) It is actually not easy at all to get into an MBA program. It is very difficult (unless the school is not a good one). Also, virtually all schools require the GMAT.

2) The business school side actually requires that applicants have *just as much* experience in the work force as straight business school applicants. That is why ppl who do the dual degree typically are much older and have had a wide medley of experiences in both medcine and business, often times career switchers

In any case, most schools that offer the dual degree require completely INDEPENDENT admissions processes at the med and business school. Admission/rejection into one does not help or influence the other. You are not treated as special; in fact, some med schools look down on applicants who have an interest in the business world. In any case, the two admisions committees do not even communicate with each other.

I know ppl who were admitted into one, but rejected by the other; and others who were vice versa. That is why simultaneous admission is so difficult and rare.

Xmulder said:

1) It is actually not easy at all to get into an MBA program. It is very difficult (unless the school is not a good one). Also, virtually all schools require the GMAT.

2) The business school side actually requires that applicants have *just as much* experience in the work force as straight business school applicants. That is why ppl who do the dual degree typically are much older and have had a wide medley of experiences in both medcine and business, often times career switchers

In any case, most schools that offer the dual degree require completely INDEPENDENT admissions processes at the med and business school. Admission/rejection into one does not help or influence the other. You are not treated as special; in fact, some med schools look down on applicants who have an interest in the business world. In any case, the two admisions committees do not even communicate with each other.

I know ppl who were admitted into one, but rejected by the other; and others who were vice versa. That is why simultaneous admission is so difficult and rare.

True - but I believe it can be easier once you are enrolled in one school. Not necessarily easier, but can be.

If you get in touch with the appropriate people who direct or are related to the joint program, and they believe you are a good candidate (in terms of qualifications, reason for wanting to pursue it), they probably have some sway and, at the very least, can advise you on your application.

Many people who pursue a joint degree continue activities in areas that meld the two disciplines even before they apply to the joint program - for an MD/MBA, that would include things like running clubs/activities in med school, health policy, getting knowledge of the management or administration of health care organizations, etc.

If you really want to do a joint program like that, you're going to be interested in those types of experiences anyway. If they seem burdensome and unappealing, the joint program probably isn't for you anyway.

Ok, I'll step in a bit to comment on what some others have been saying. My comments are based on studying the packeges/websites of various programs and direct communication with the Med & Business school officers with questions:

1.GMAT: This really depends on where and when you are applying. For many schools, if you are applying to both schools simultaneously, they will require the GMAT. However, if you apply to the business school/MD&MBA program as a 2nd or 3rd year med then you don't need GMAT as long as you have are in good standing at the med school.

2. Simultaneous applications: Most schools give you the option of applying simultaneously or getting into one then applying for the other one later. For some you have to apply simultaneously, like the MSP at UoI@Urbana and you can't apply once you are in. There's also some, like Baylors, where you apply to both at the same time but the Business side won't look at your application until you are officially accepted by the med side.

3. Work experience: This also really depends on when/where. Many of those that require simultaneous applications do kind of want some kind of experience for the business side. Many, however, will not weigh that against you if you explain in your essays how you plan to use your dual degree. Many programs realize your aim may be to be a physician with an MBA, and not a consultant/ceo/executive with an MD.

In short, the various programs have different requirements, expectations and procedures. The best thing to do is to look at each one individually.

Xmulder said:

I'd like to comment on your first two points which I don't entirely agree with.

1-Most business schools, especially in official dual degree programs, are very receptive to medical students applying. They reason that if a student was able to get into medical school, most likely they are academically qualified for business school. This is the case when students are applying to the same university's business program, not when applying outside. Typically, the application process is a formality however, yes, it is possible not to get in immediately-even more true with top 5-10 business programs. But there are a number of top 25 business schools that will admit medical students without much reservation.

2-The experience issue is valid, but again, most combined degree programs do not require experience. Those that want work experience can get around this by counting a year on the wards as "experience" But it is by no means true that you have to have as much experience as other applicants. At some schools this may be true, but again, at dual degree programs, that is not the case.

Mike
www.md-mba.org
Emory University School of Medicine
Goizueta Business School
Class of 2006

along the lines of what i was saying and what has been said above: if you got into a top med school, you are, with almost no doubt, extremely qualified academically to be in their b-school

the only hurdle is really experience. but i can't imagine this to be this big of an issue when people at columbia's med school say theyve "never heard anyone get turned down" from their mba program

IndyZX said:
along the lines of what i was saying and what has been said above: if you got into a top med school, you are, with almost no doubt, extremely qualified academically to be in their b-school

the only hurdle is really experience. but i can't imagine this to be this big of an issue when people at columbia's med school say theyve "never heard anyone get turned down" from their mba program

Dont get me wrong- you don't need as much business experience as typical applicants for the MD/MBA (at least thats what i heard from people actually in the program at my school), but the adcom isnt gonna just let you walk in. You need some very well thought-out plans on what you want to use the degree for. That is something that may require experience to support; however, it need not be directly related to business.

I agree with Friday that this could vary alot between schools. I know the programs between USC and UCI were very different as far as requirements and support for the program. I would suggest looking closely at these programs when you decide on a school.

I interviewed for a couple of MBA/MD spots a few years ago, and in regards to experience, this is going to depend on the requirements of the MBA program you're applying to. Certain top programs (e.g. Tuck, Kellogg) REQUIRE two years of work experience. Even with my top GMAT score, the assistant directors of admissions told me I didn't have a shot at getting in (I have <1 year of full-time work experience). Other top schools (e.g. Harvard, Stanford) actually encourage some students straight out of undergrad to apply.

So in conclusion... it depends on the school. :)

I went for an MBA before dental school. Don't sweat the GMAT if they need it. It is so damn easy. I scored 630 with only one week of reviewing old exam questions. Most schools do req atleast 3 years work experience at or around managerial level.

Med school is hard as it is, just do it when you get out. I had 3 MD's and 1 dentist graduate with me and they were not in a joint program.

Oh yeah, yes it depends big time on the school you are entering, so research that