MD/MBAs and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud2021

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been on this forum for awhile and very appreciative of all the advice I've seen. I have a question I was hoping you all could help me with. How are MD/MBAs (dual degree programs) viewed in the residency selection process? I'm specifically interested in ortho. I know that in the past, MD/MBAs have been viewed with negative connotations given the reluctance of people to associate healthcare with business, but I was wondering if that perception has changed especially as I see so many surgeon MD-MBAs nowadays.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

N=1, but the dual degrees seem to be well received at large academic residency programs and less by community oriented programs. It has been my experience during this residency application cycle and is always talked about during interviews, especially programs with existing administrative tracks.

N=1, but the dual degrees seem to be well received at large academic residency programs and less by community oriented programs. It has been my experience during this residency application cycle and is always talked about during interviews, especially programs with existing administrative tracks.
I'm surprised since i thought community programs were targeting private practice where the MBA could be useful, but looks like i was wrong

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your insight! I haven't heard much about administrative tracks - do you mind clarifying what these generally consist of? You don't have to name specific programs.

I'm surprised since i thought community programs were targeting private practice where the MBA could be useful, but looks like i was wrong
Well, I had a few HCA programs attempt to sell me on their national presence as well. :unsure:

Thank you for your insight! I haven't heard much about administrative tracks - do you mind clarifying what these generally consist of? You don't have to name specific programs.
Some programs have scholarly tracks to align you with your career goals during residency. Programs with administrative tracks place you with mentors holding leadership positions within the institution. You are able to work with them on projects, attend high-level meetings, and build those professional bridges early in residency. It's greases the wheels to use both degrees with real purpose after residency - theoretically.