MD/MPH applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so here I am filling out the AMCAS thing, and it's very confusing. I'd like to apply to joint programs if schools have it, but should I designate both MD AND joint program, or just one or the other? Will it cost me more to apply to both?

And what about schools like Baylor, where the AMCAS gives me the option to check the little MPH box, but to my knowledge Baylor doesn't even HAVE a joint program?

Members don't see this ad.

it doesn't cost extra to designate that option, i would designate both if you can.
-jot

Actually, it doesn't seem like I CAN designate both. I'll just go ahead with the regular MD thing then I guess. What are others doing? How can I let those schools know my interest in the MPH? Shall I just call them all?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied MD/MPH to all the programs that would let me, but in actuality, most med schools don't consider you for their dual MPH program until you are admitted to the MD program (at which time, you can specify your interest in their MPH program). There is no separate process for those interested in dual MPH programs as far as I could tell. Things may have changed over this past year, or maybe the schools I applied to have more laid back processes than other schools, I don't know. Just apply MD, and you can always specify your interest in the MPH degree when you get in. It doesn't hurt to mention it in your personal statement (if you are discussing your future goals) and also during the interviews. If I knew that a school had an MPH program, I would almost always ask about it during the interview, to get a sense of if the program is well-established, etc. Good luck with AMCAS!

Recently, I have been seriously considering the idea of pursuing an MD/MPH. The only thing is that I didn't designate this on either my AMCAS or on most of my secondaries (I had already sent them out before I realized how useful an MPH would be). Should I contact the schools or can I just wait until after I get into the med schools (whichever ones i actually get into) or get to the interviews to express my interest?

Other q's:

I know this has been addressed on the forum before (i did a search), but does anyone know for sure how designating MPH on your app affects your MD admission (this is for if I do call the schools to change my appl designation)? It doesn't seem like they have joint admissions, but I wasn't positive and wanted to be certain. Does this vary by school?

Do all MPH programs offer the same concentrations? I'm interested specifically in International Medicine.

Lastly, I was looking at MCV/VCU's MD-MPH program and the MPH rep says under the requirements that you should have taken advanced stats and emphasizes the importance of taking the GRE, even if you've taken the MCAT.
Are all MPH programs like that?

thanks for all of your help!!

Originally posted by chopsuey

Do all MPH programs offer the same concentrations? I'm interested specifically in International Medicine.
kinda. most mph programs have several different concentrations you can pick from, and some schools are stronger than others in certain concentrations

some concentrations (how schools name them can vary)
international medicine
health policy and management
epidemiology
biostats
behavioral science and health education
environmental health

depending on the school, it might be "epi and biostats", or "epi and environmental health" or "health policy with a international concentration".