Jul 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Public Health and with a few MPH programs opening up in California universities, I'm considering the dual degree MD/MPH. I'm applying during next year's cycle and was wondering how I would apply for the MPH program. Would I request a certain application or use one application? How does the program work - I know it varies between universities, but do students take an additional year after their medical coursework or what? Also, what can one do with a MPH degree? I'm just researching the program and was wondering if anyone has recommendations to what schools have the best programs, if it is worth it in the first place, difficult to get in, etc. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Public Health and with a few MPH programs opening up in California universities, I'm considering the dual degree MD/MPH. I'm applying during next year's cycle and was wondering how I would apply for the MPH program. Would I request a certain application or use one application? How does the program work - I know it varies between universities, but do students take an additional year after their medical coursework or what? Also, what can one do with a MPH degree? I'm just researching the program and was wondering if anyone has recommendations to what schools have the best programs, if it is worth it in the first place, difficult to get in, etc. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!
You still apply through AMCAS. When you add a school, it gives you the option of selecting MD/MPH.

Many (if not most) of the MD/MPH programs allow you to do the MPH after 1st year or after 2nd year.

Many (again, if not most) schools send your application separately to MD admissions and MPH admissions. They review it independently. Theoretically, you can apply to MD/MPH and be accepted as an MD only candidate. I'm not sure if it is "worth it." I don't entirely see the benefit of an MPH, relative to the cost.