MD/MPH vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducks_are _the best

Reaction score
HI! I have a quick question. Like on AMCAS, if you apply for the MD/MPH programs does that negate you from the MD program? Like would you have to apply to both MD/MPH and MD. Or if you get rejected from MD/MPH program would you still be considered just for MD program? Thank!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, my sense is that a lot of schools consider you for the dual degree only after you get into the MD program. Of course it is program dependent.

Reactions: 1 user
When I applied a few years ago, picking MD/MPH on AMCAS wasn't binding at most schools - Most schools ask again on the secondary, and for one school where I changed my mind they just switched my classification over without much fuss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, my sense is that a lot of schools consider you for the dual degree only after you get into the MD program. Of course it is program dependent.

My question is more so...if you get rejected for the dual degree does that mean automatic rejection from MD, or would you still be considered from the MD program

At most schools you would get rolled over into just MD but that really isnt an issue with MD/MPH. Its the getting into MD that is hard
I jusst feel that MD/MPH is more competitive/fewer slots so I was weighing pros/cons of applying to MD/MPH vs MD alone...like I see a disadvantage to compete for such few slots when you have a better chance applying to just applying to just MD with larger slots

You could take a look at some of the FAQs for schools you're considering.

Take a look at one example I found, BU: MD and MPH Dual Degree Program | SPH | Boston University

"All medical students accepted to BUSM are eligible to apply to the MD/MPH dual degree program. Students interested in the MD/MPH program must apply to BUSM first. Selecting the MD/MPH program on the AMCAS application alerts the Admissions Office at BUSM that the student is interested in the dual degree program. It does not obligate the student to apply, and it has no impact on the likelihood of acceptance into BUSM."

I think most programs tend to work in the same way, but review the specific schools you're interested in if you're worried.

As above, all MD/MPH programs start as admitting you to MD thru the same process as every other MD applicant. There isnt a set number of seats dedicated to the MD/MPH

Not quite true - some combined programs like Miami do have separate seats dedicated to MD/MPH only, and the MD track is a completely separate consideration. But that's the exception, not the rule I think.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth I applied to 4 MD/MPH programs but I didn't select them on AMCAS only on the secondaries. Don't worry about AMCAS. The secondaries usually allow you to apply to both (i.e. Miami and OHSU etc...)

For what it's worth I applied to 4 MD/MPH programs but I didn't select them on AMCAS only on the secondaries. Don't worry about AMCAS. The secondaries usually allow you to apply to both (i.e. Miami and OHSU etc...)
But like, if you do not get into the selected seats for MD/MPH programs, can they still refer you to the MD program, which has more seats? (for those who have specific seats

But like, if you do not get into the selected seats for MD/MPH programs, can they still refer you to the MD program, which has more seats? (for those who have specific seats

It is contingent on program.

For example, UMiami has people getting accepted into MD and not MD MPH (and vice versa).