MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there applying for the MD/MPH program at any schools? I'm not applying 'til next year, but I'd like to know if anyone is now so I can get some advice. Specifically, how they entailed the MPH part into their personal statement. Do you have to have higher stats to get into that program?

Members don't see this ad.

MD/MPH is a great way to go. I am not applying for MD/MPH right now but I plan to do an MPH or an MBA at some point after I get my MD (assuming some school lets me in). Actually I am partial to the MBA, but MPH is very good especially if you are interested in public policy.
As far as admission stuff, it will vary greatly from school to school - but as a guesstimate, I don't think it will be any harder than getting into the simple MD program. With regard to the personal statement, it will be important to express WHY you want the joint degree and give a good idea of what you plan to DO with it (career goals). Hope that helps. Good luck.

for the MD/MPH programs I looked at, you apply during your second year of med school, and do the MPH part of it for a year between basic sciences and clinicals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Snudge: think you are talking about PhD not MPH (Master of Public Health)

4 of the 14 schools had MPH designation when I submitted AMCAS in July. I have since changed all to Regular MD. In this application cycle there is already too much confusion going on, and AMCAS decided NOT to notify schools that I was doing MPH, but rather just tell them I was Combined Degree. Of course schools assumed I meant MD/PhD and I was getting all these notices about having to complete stuff like Cornell's PhD application and brochures on Pitt's MD/PhD program. To relieve this mess, I realized that I can always pursue the MPH once I get accepted (which is first priority by a long shot).

Search the forum for MPH, because either here (or maybe the Lounge, or Allopathic) there was mention of certain preventive medicine and occupational health residency programs bundling the MPH into the 'package'

Still go ahead and mention the type of things you'd want to do with the MPH and your motivations for them in your Vision statement, personal statement and even secondary essays. I was asked about my reason for considering international health, preventive medicine at my UF interview. The interviewer was critical of my knowledge on the subjects. Not sure if my answer satisfied her, but she liked my preventive med analogy.

Speaking of UF, is it basically an unsaid rule that those get off the hold category send addt'l info?

Coming from a school - Tulane - with a very famous MD/MPH (the first and most prolific ... unfortunately not the most challenging or prestigious), I'll tell you that if you got into the MD program, you have the choice of whether you want to do the MPH or not. Don't even worry about it now, don't mention on your app if you don't want to. The earliest you can start is second semester of first year. And they recruit hard, because they can roll you for another $10,000. So, just wait till you get the MD acceptance, and then talk to people. I'm already accepted into the MPH, but I'm not even sure I'm doing it anymore. It's kind of watered down, you take much less courses (some say that the med school courses would overlap, I don't know about that...).

People have mixed feelings about Tulane's MD/MPH program, and after I get more information, I may want to hold off and instead getting a watered down "slash-MPH", I may want to try to get a full-frontal "comma-MPH".

I think the classes look very fascinating, and I'm definitely going to take a bunch of them, but I don't know if I want to give up my final summer (after 1st year med school) taking classes here. Someone has to enlighten on me whether an MPH would put me in a stronger position, or doing a research would...

Good luck,

Simul
Tulane Med '05