MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urasia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here applying to MD/MPH? i'm thinking of going into international health, and it seems like most of the policy makers or advisors in developing countries only hold a MD, so i don't know whether it's necessary to get a MPH degree.

also, does anyone know the admissions rate for MD/MPH programs? i hope it's not as difficult as getting into a MSTP program.

well, any insights would be appreciated, thanks! ;) :D :cool: :) :p

Members don't see this ad.

no, it's not necessary to have an MPH to pursue international health. it's the same situation as with a PhD--you can still do research with 'just' an MD. but by getting the MPH, you'll have a much broader background in public health practice/theory, health economics, epidemiology, etc, than a 'regular' MD-only med student will get. i'm taking the 'one-degree-at-a-time' approach and am just about finished with an MPH and will start med school next year. i can tell you that getting the MPH has definitely been worth it for me.

admissions rates for MD/MPH dual-degree programs are nothing like MD/PhD, which are way more competitive. i've never heard of MD/MPH students receiving funding the way MD/PhD students do. at many schools, you simply apply to the MD program and if you're accepted, you can then file an app for the MPH program at that school, which in many cases is simply a formality. chances are, if you are competitive enough to be admitted to the MD program at a particular school, you'll have no trouble getting into the MPH program. but my understanding is that MD/MPH students aren't put into a separate admissions pool the way MD/PhD students are.

hope this helps.

thanks, sandflea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting my MPH now (1st time applying to MD) in Health Care Organization and Policy. I must admit that I didn't know much more about public health before than the average lay person, but it is really amazing to get the "community" approach to medicine as opposed to just a clinical approach. I recommend anyone go for it, if not just for the vast amounts of knowledge on managed care that has boosted my interviews.

You can apply to both degrees simultaneously. You don't have to wait for acceptance to MD program. You can just apply to both separately and check the box that you are considering a joint program on both app's and wait for their decisions separtely. Hope this helps!

For Sandflea and Grunermann, what made you guys want to pursue MPH? Were you guys always thinking about MD as a next degree that you want to pursue Or did MPH degree made you want to pursue medicine? Just curious... Also, at the public health schools, are there many people who want to move onto medical schools? I am considering just going for MPH first before MD. Any advice will be appreciated a bunch. Thanks! :)

I decided to get my MPH because I took the MCAT for the first time last spring and needed to do something for a year that would best serve my interests in becoming a physician. Organization and Policy teaches one about everything that "old-fashioned" physicians hate about managed care, economic issues, law and ethical matters, as well as basics in all areas of public health. I think that because of completing the program, I will have an entirely different outlook on medicine than my peers, hopefully in a good way.

There are a few people who unsuccessfully applied to med school here, hoping that this will give them an edge. The greatest presence, however, is current physicians.

If you have a year (or two), I think it's the best way to spend your time, if you don't need to think about post-bacc's.

I am applying to MD/MPH at Oregon Health & Science University. I could use some help - I just discovered the MPH program a few months ago, and have been so busy with my last semester of undergrad that I have not been able to get involved in any facet of public health. I plan to start volunteering as soon as I graduate in Dec., and that will be before I interview (if I get one!) but I was wondering if you all have any idea what the chances would be on me getting in with minimal exposure to any sort of public health field. I am planning a career in rural health, so I thought the MPH would be useful.

Thanks!!

Shellio,
My sister who graduated from college a year early went for MPH at one of the top 5 schools right afterwards without ANY public health exposure. So don't worry too much. I have checked out a few websites and many of them do not require any work experience or public health related activities. They say people who would like to know more about the field are welcomed. I really don't think not having any experience will keep you out of public health school. Best of luck!!!