Md/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biffbuddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if you have to apply to an md/mph program before you enter med school or can you wait to apply in your first or second year? I have tried to find this stuff online but no schools seem to mention it, they just direct you to the corresponding schools of public health.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that in most schools, you can do it both ways. For NJMS and RWJ, you can apply either MD/MPH right away, or apply at the end of your 1st year. For these schools, it is easier to get into the MPH program if you apply before med school, because there is less competition for more spots. At the end of first year, there is something like 10-15 applicants for only 3 or 4 spots.

- Quideam

For some of the TX schools offering MD/MBA's, I've heard they can't even get enough applicants for the spots availible and a number of applicants use it as a way in (poor scores) then bail from the MBA part once school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
for Columbia U, u need to get accepted into their MD program before u can apply to the MPH

What about schools that don't have an school of public health?

In order to get the MPH you'll have to get it after the MD at a different school. How long does this usually take?

I'm interested in public health, but my school doesn't have a public health school.