biffbuddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2003
DC
Status (Visible)
does anyone know if you have to apply to an md/mph program before you enter med school or can you wait to apply in your first or second year? I have tried to find this stuff online but no schools seem to mention it, they just direct you to the corresponding schools of public health.
thanks

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm pretty sure that in most schools, you can do it both ways. For NJMS and RWJ, you can apply either MD/MPH right away, or apply at the end of your 1st year. For these schools, it is easier to get into the MPH program if you apply before med school, because there is less competition for more spots. At the end of first year, there is something like 10-15 applicants for only 3 or 4 spots.

- Quideam

thackl

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Status (Visible)
For some of the TX schools offering MD/MBA's, I've heard they can't even get enough applicants for the spots availible and a number of applicants use it as a way in (poor scores) then bail from the MBA part once school starts.

About the Ads

rCubed

taiko master
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
NY
Status (Visible)
for Columbia U, u need to get accepted into their MD program before u can apply to the MPH

Tamomo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2003
Texas
Status (Visible)
What about schools that don't have an school of public health?

In order to get the MPH you'll have to get it after the MD at a different school. How long does this usually take?

I'm interested in public health, but my school doesn't have a public health school.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.