Md/mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragedoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum. Need some help in deciding on a career path.

I completed my MD. I want to get into the administrative side of medicine. Not so interested in working for pharma companies. I have more interest in Public health & policy making. I am presently studying for the GMAT. I am just not sure which path to take. Would it be more beneficial to get a general MBA,or a MBA in hospital administration. Or now I see that some programs offer a MBA/MPH combined program.

Do I need to pass the USMLE? Will it bolster my application or help me down the road in job applications?

Any advise would be very helpful as I have no one to point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Michael Rack.. at the minimum, I would complete internship and take USMLE 3. Remember, without USMLE 3 you can't really do anything with an MD except become an intern. I really would recommend doing a full residency as you might get stuck if you decide later in life that you want to practice clinical medicine and no one will take you because you are >5 years out from medical school.

Have you considered doing a residency in preventive medicine? You'll get public health training and be board eligible.