MD of preventive medicine vs. DrPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeRadical

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Both preventive medicine and DrPH include two years of public health school. Preventive medicine also includes medical school while DrPH requires two more years of public health to get the doctorate.)

I'm wondering how doctors of preventive medicine use the education they receive in medical school. It seems that if you're working primarily on a population-based level as in preventive medicine, a deeper knowledge of public health (DrPH) might serve you better than a deeper knowledge of the human body (MD).

What is the MD used for?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking the general preventive medicine branch, and not so much the aerospace or occupational medicine branches.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Both preventive medicine and DrPH include two years of public health school. Preventive medicine also includes medical school while DrPH requires two more years of public health to get the doctorate.)

I'm wondering how doctors of preventive medicine use the education they receive in medical school. It seems that if you're working primarily on a population-based level as in preventive medicine, a deeper knowledge of public health (DrPH) might serve you better than a deeper knowledge of the human body (MD).

What is the MD used for?

I did resarch and shadowed docs at a preventive medicine residency this summer. Along with the research the they were doing on a more global/community based scale, all of the doctors had scheduled time in the clinic or in the hospital. In that setting, they worked more or less like a family medicine physician. There was a common theme with all of the patients being seen, and most were just check ups or prescription refills for patients with chronic illnessses like obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc. Thats where "MD" was used.

The preventive medicine residency consists of more than just obtaining your MPH. Thats only the first year and they are doing other things WHILE they are getting that degree. You spend time seeing patients in the clinicals/hospitals that i mentioned and stuff like that. Most days I spent in the clinic there would be at least one, sometimes two, residents seeing patients along with the residency director.

Well, you can still go into practice, and you'll need MD/DO for that.

I think also you need the clinical side to "do" medicine rather than "do" public health.