Can I apply MD while in my DrPH Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinnabon435

Reaction score
I'm currently in my DrPH program and want to apply MD. This wasn't a spur of the moment decision, MD was always one of the goals.

There are not any formal MD/DrPH programs anywhere, but I want to complete both concurrently.

As for why I am doing this I have great interested in program intervention/practice, and public health leadership. However, I am also interested in clinical practice particularly adolescent and women's health.

Would MD programs think I'm insane or reject me for applying while still in my DrPH program? Is this even allowed?

Additional Info:

-The DrPH is very part time and online, will take anywhere from 4-9 years to complete. I take 1 class every quarter.

-I am fully funded

-it is not the rigor of a PhD program. You also need to have worked many years in public health for most DrPH programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve never heard of someone remaining in a different program while in medical school. All of the dual degrees are within the same institution. Does your DrPH school have a medical school?

Medical school takes up a lot of your energy and effort and if you got into medical school, they won’t give you any leniency or extensions especially if they’re separate programs. If your currently fully funded, are there restrictions to what you must do? I can’t imagine a doctorate program giving a living stipend only to have their students extend the program to get a different degree.

I’ve never heard of someone remaining in a different program while in medical school. All of the dual degrees are within the same institution. Does your DrPH school have a medical school?

Medical school takes up a lot of your energy and effort and if you got into medical school, they won’t give you any leniency or extensions especially if they’re separate programs. If your currently fully funded, are there restrictions to what you must do? I can’t imagine a doctorate program giving a living stipend only to have their students extend the program to get a different degree.
When I say fully funded I mean tuition is covered. I don't need a living stipend. My SPH also has a medical school, but it is not the only one I am applying to.

The program is orginaly for working professionals who have established experience in PH, because of this it is designed for semester long breaks/absences if necessary, since work is the priority.

My goal was to create my own MD/DrPH program per say since I cannot find one. I know some individuals get their DrPH during residency ,but I want to do it concurrently. I am very nontrad and will be in my late 30s after finishing medical school, but also I see the value of doing this degree with obtaining a medical education. I think medical schools only hit the surface of health disparities and public health. I also already have my MPH so I don't need MD/MPH programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi OP. Most schools likely would not allow this. They would expect you to finish your other degree before matriculating. That being said, there may be exceptions to this or some schools may allow this on a case-by-case basis. But, you would have to reach out to schools to find out.

When I say fully funded I mean tuition is covered. I don't need a living stipend. My SPH also has a medical school, but it is not the only one I am applying to.

The program is orginaly for working professionals who have established experience in PH, because of this it is designed for semester long breaks/absences if necessary, since work is the priority.

My goal was to create my own MD/DrPH program per say since I cannot find one. I know some individuals get their DrPH during residency ,but I want to do it concurrently. I am very nontrad and will be in my late 30s after finishing medical school, but also I see the value of doing this degree with obtaining a medical education. I think medical schools only hit the surface of health disparities and public health. I also already have my MPH so I don't need MD/MPH programs.
Not going to happen