MD or MD/PhD for a future ophtho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RookTookIt

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I know I'm just a pesky premed, but I was hoping some of you might have some insight into this.

I'm a nontraditional student who will be starting med school this year and need to decide which school in the next few days. The final two contenders are an MD/PhD program or an MD only program. For background, I absolutely love research and ophthalmology. I am currently a COT and have done a lot of basic research on the development of the cornea (including a few substantial pubs). I hope to work as a researching ophthalmologist in an academic setting.

Basically, my question is this: I know that ophtho residences like to see research, but is a PhD too much? Will residencies be turned off by my older age if I choose the MD/PhD route (probably will be 34 when I start residency)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to see how a PhD could hurt you. In fact, it seemed like on the interview trail it was very desirable to have PhD and it was highly prized by a number of the more prestigious programs I interviewed at. Most of the top ophtho programs in the country are very research oriented and having a PhD in the field is a strong indicator that you will follow that trend.

It is important to also ask yourself what you really want as well. It sounds like you are set on an academic career as a clinician-scientist. In that respect, a PhD is a huge plus. If you couple outstanding personal credentials with an affiliation at a top university you will be competitive for funding which is essential to success in research.

If you really want to be an academician, a PhD can only help you. Plus, you will likely get tuition remission in a combined program. Who doesn't like the idea of free med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. Yes, the MD/PhD is fully funded, which I didn't think was a huge deal (given the few extra years that I will be missing out on a physician salary) until I saw my financial package for the MD-only school. All unsubsidized loans, half with a 6.8% interest rate and the other half at 7.9%.

One last question: I'm eligible for becoming a COMT. Is there any reason for sitting for this test? I figure there isn't since soon enough I'll have an MD which will trump everything. But maybe there's a chance that it'll allow me to do more during rotations or something?

Yeah, my loans locked in at about 3%. Interest rates now are terrible. The funding will definitely be worth it, even if you don't end up in academics.

I wouldn't bother with the COMT, unless you just want to get it. Won't help or hurt you.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on SDN Mobile

You don't need to have a PhD to be an academician, actually most academicians in ophthalmology do not have one. It would be an extra 3-4 years and you are already an older candidate. If you decide to do a fellowship after residency, you will be very close to 40 already. Just my 2 cents.

Basically, my question is this: I know that ophtho residences like to see research, but is a PhD too much? Will residencies be turned off by my older age if I choose the MD/PhD route (probably will be 34 when I start residency)?

You don't need to have a PhD to be an academician, actually most academicians in ophthalmology do not have one. It would be an extra 3-4 years and you are already an older candidate. If you decide to do a fellowship after residency, you will be very close to 40 already. Just my 2 cents.

I was 33 when I started residency. You'll find most programs like older students, as they are typically more mature and focused. As for the value of the PhD, yes you can definitely be an academician, and a successful one, without it. With a PhD, however, I'll pretty much guarantee you that you'll be better at research than your strictly MD colleagues. I'm continually amazed at the poor quality of research that gets published in our journals. It's embarrassing, really. We receive little training in statistics and research design in med school, . . . and it shows.