MD or MPH and MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saritapuente

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some advice. I am a premed student and I have done a lot of international medical work and have discovered that though I do want to be a doctor, I am very interested in public health and don't feel like I would be happy pursuing a career in international medicine without being able to address the plethora of public health problems that exist in developing countries. Right now what I want to do is get an MPH after I graduate from college and then go to medical school (I don't want to do a four year dual degree) and there are a few MPH programs that I am especially interested in (particularly the GHE program at Berkeley and the UW School of Public Health) but Berkeley doesn't have a med school and I doubt I will get into UW med school!

The main problem I have is money. I jusy don't think I can afford to do both degrees and I can't afford to spend the rest of my life in debt, since I've already accrued about $30,000 in debt from undergrad ):.

So here is my question: is it necessary to get an MPH if you get an MD? I have heard from some people that getting an MD/MPH is "gilding the lilly" and that you can do whatever you want to do in public health with just an MD degree, but I have heard from other people (including several doctors) that if you are interested in public health and want to integrate it into medicine that it is worthwhile. I love the clinical care aspect of medicine but my eventual career goal is to do infectious disease prevention in developing countries so I feel like having an MPH would be very important.

Also, does scholarship money exist for MPH degrees? Sometimes the idea of how much debt I'm going to be in after med school/grad school makes me feel like buying a lottery ticket every day.

So yeah, I just want to know if it is worthwhile to pursue an MPH and an MD or if an MD will do for what I am interested in doing.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my question: is it necessary to get an MPH if you get an MD?

The answer to this question is no. Based on what you've said, if you do an infectious disease fellowship and get involved in whichever international organization tickles your fancy, you really should be able to do whatever you want to do.

That being said, there are a lot of schools that offer a combined degree (or allow you to take a year or so and complete an MPH at a tuition reduced rate), and the application is usually a formality if you are in medical school. Here's what I'd do if I were in your situation: start medical school and decide if you want an MPH at that point. Then either get one while you're in school, or you can always go back later if you want to.

Side note: I acquired an MPH while in medical school, and now she's my wife!!! :love::love::love:

Berkeley's lack of a med school should play no role in your decision. It's a top program and there are plenty of connections with UCLA, UCSF, UC Davis, and Stanford.

You should also consider doing the MPH after you finish medical school. Some residency & fellowship programs cover the tuition (and pay you a a salary) while you get your MPH.