MD-PhD and Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dm24980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to do research after you graduate from medical school, do you have to have a PhD?

Is there a place where the number of MD-PhD spaces available at each school has been compiled?

Does anyone know of a school with an MD-PhD in Math?

Members don't see this ad.

1) No.

2) The MSAR lists how many M.D./Ph.D. candidates matriculate each year. That can give you a rough idea of how many slots there are.

3) In theory your Ph.D. can be in any field (for most schools), but you're expected to do something in the biomedical sciences. I'm not sure how math fits into that expectation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I one heard from a professor that they'd allow you to do your PhD in anything you wanted, as long as you could reasonably explain how it was related to improving medicine, or something to that effect.

I one heard from a professor that they'd allow you to do your PhD in anything you wanted, as long as you could reasonably explain how it was related to improving medicine, or something to that effect.

I emailed UNC-CH asking about math specifically and that's the answer they gave me as well.