MD/PhD Application Essay help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1indaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! For the research experience essay, is it relevant to write about research experiences from high school (junior year summer, senior year summer)? I feel that it is relevant to include it because it was my first exposure to research and was also the platform that got me into my current research interests, but I have heard that any extracurriculars from high school shouldn't be included. Additionally, should I get a letter of recommendation from this lab?

Also, does anyone happen to know the character limit for this particular essay?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you can use it as an intro regarding how you got into research but don't spend too much time. Focus on your current research accomplishments.

Hi everyone! For the research experience essay, is it relevant to write about research experiences from high school (junior year summer, senior year summer)? I feel that it is relevant to include it because it was my first exposure to research and was also the platform that got me into my current research interests, but I have heard that any extracurriculars from high school shouldn't be included. Additionally, should I get a letter of recommendation from this lab?

Also, does anyone happen to know the character limit for this particular essay?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)
If you feel the high school research was significant, then sure, include it. As referee3 mentioned, however, don't make it the focal point of your essay. There is a character limit (at least, for last year's application process), but honestly, if you do reach this limit you've already added way too much fluff and the people reading your essay probably wouldn't read the entire thing. Only get a letter if you think he/she could write a great letter.

For reference, my first research experience was in high school and I didnt include it. I still did fine so I don't think it matters that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for your input!

I had multiple publications before applying so I actually had trouble fitting within the character limit, but I think I'm the exception.

I'd write a paragraph on it as an intro. Basically repeating the advice from before.

A letter...at least send it to your school's letter committee. Whether you send it as a stand-alone is up to you, I'd only do it if you were short on post-HS research letters.

I'm not a mud phud but I work with a couple and I've seen the application process in action, my advice would be to at most use HS to showcase your early interest in research but you should not attempt to make any HS "research" look substantial.