MD/ PhD essay help...pretty plz?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CancerKiller007

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for stopping by. I am putting final touches on my MD/PhD essay question, but now I am having second thoughts about it.

It seems that I spend awful lot of time discussing how my basic science research, and I fear that this is bordering close to a Phd statement rather than MSTP. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? How did you guys balance between MD and PhD aspects in the essay?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember writing mine with an extreme emphasis on translational research, with examples of how my current research will help in that aspect.

I also constructed my MD/PhD argument in such a way to convey the message that a PhD training will also make me a better physician.

My problem is with the 1st personal comments essay which asks simply, why do you want to go to med school.

I answered it with a lot about why my research interests me and how I'm interested in applying it to medicine - which sounds a lot more like the MD/PhD essay.

The problem is I don't want to go to med school, in the sense that I would probably only want to go to a MSTP program. My interest in medicine is in applying my research to patient treatment.

Unfortunately, that'll mean both the essays will just wind up sounding the same - which is no good, of course.

It seems as if it's supposed to be:
essay 1) interest in medicine
2) interest in application of research to medicine
3) specifics about research

If my interest in medicine is in the application of research, is there at least a way where I can make the two sound significantly different, to avoid repeating myself?

I mean, obviously I care about people and want to treat diseases and interact with patients on a more personal level than just a PhD could afford, but I'm sure that's a pretty common essay 1 topic, and difficult to say without sounding like everyone else, and/or cheesy and fake.

What I wanted to say, is that my interest in medicine is unique because of how I can think about medicine scientifically. But, I run into the problem as described above.

Any ideas? (not looking for anyone to write it for me, obviously, just wondering what other people have done who are in the same boat as me).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the prospect of sounding redundant.

If you've ever read an NIH grant proposal, or even some of the primary literature, often the Intro/Results/Discussion is pretty redundant. It's just a matter of stating and emphasizing the important points.

2. Why do you want to enter an M.D./Ph.D. program?

I have chosen to pursue the joint degrees of M.D./Ph.D. as a result of my interest in laboratory research that goes beyond a clinical setting. I have prepared for a career in medicine from the beginning of my post-secondary education, but towards the end of my undergraduate career I was invited to join a research group by my biochemistry professor, Jenq-Kuen Huang, Ph.D., of the Western Illinois University (WIU) Department of Chemistry. Although I had already completed the chemistry requirements of the pre-medicine pre-professional program I was enrolled in, I agreed to work in Dr. Huang’s laboratory as a way to better prepare myself for medical school. I believe the principles of medicine begin at the bench, and the strong foundation in research fundamentals I gained through this experience makes me a strong candidate for your program.
Once I joined Dr. Huang’s group, I flourished as a research scientist and scholar under my new found mentor’s tutelage. I discovered that scientific investigation greatly appealed to me, and that I had the desire to pursue research, in addition to a clinical practice. I remained a member of the Huang group until I graduated, as well as participating in independent research in a number of other laboratories and reporting on my findings at a number of conferences.
After graduation, I decided to continue a scientific course in graduate school until which time I would be accepted to medical school as well as an M.D./Ph.D. program. During this time, I have taken coursework from the Graduate Education in Medical Science (GEMS) curriculum through the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and am currently seated in the Ph.D. program for Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics.
I was also hired to work as a graduate assistant in the medical mycology laboratory of Peter R. Williamson, M.D./Ph.D., in the Section of Infectious Diseases at the UIC College of Medicine. Working with Dr. Williamson and his research staff, some of whom were also M.D./Ph.D.s, I was able to get a better understanding of just what a career as a physician scientist entails. While continuing to see patients, I would still have the opportunity to actively conduct research and report my findings so that they could be applied to the better practice of medicine overall.
These experiences have helped me to realize that an M.D./Ph.D. curriculum would allow me to reconcile my deep interest in scientist research, as well as my desire to work in the clinic. Such a career is an ambitious undertaking, but it is one in which I think I am a strong candidate for success. By committing to train in this very unique and rigorous manner, I would be better able to care for my patients, as well as better serve the scientific community through my contributions to translational research.

I just figured that it would be an opportunity to say different things that don't fit elsewhere in the application. But I suppose being slightly redundant is better than sounding banal.

Thanks for sharing your essay, it helps me understand what they're looking for.

I know you're probably very busy, but do you mind if I send you my essay(s) just to get your opinion to see if I'm on the right track? You can tell me no, it's fine. I wouldn't want to set a precedence of making you an essay reviewer.

Nah.. I'd be happy to review it

Would give me a break from all the lit, and make me feel like I knew something about something for a change :)

seraph made a good point also... according to the NIH's roadmap, you definately need to emphasize the translational nature of your research. Are you looking into some sort of novel bowel research? How is e. coli research gonna be applicable to internal medicine, endoscopy, etc?

So I guess my final advice is.. pander to the translational aspect of your studies.

Nah.. I'd be happy to review it

Would give me a break from all the lit, and make me feel like I knew something about something for a change :)
Great thanks.. I'll send them over when I get to my second draft.

seraph made a good point also... according to the NIH's roadmap, you definately need to emphasize the translational nature of your research. Are you looking into some sort of novel bowel research? How is e. coli research gonna be applicable to internal medicine, endoscopy, etc?

So I guess my final advice is.. pander to the translational aspect of your studies.
Well, my first study was on Uropathogenic strain. We found a pilus system that played a previously unknown role in the bacterial efflux from kidney cells (tissue cultures and mouse model).

I'm currently working on Enterotoxigenic e. coli, on different pilus system, trying to elucidate an assembly mechanism for the pilus proteins.

In both cases of human pathogens, the ultimate goal is to find a pilus system that would work as a vaccine candidate. So, that's where the bulk of the translational research would probably lie.

But, on the whole, its important to understand how virulence systems work in pathogens, just to be smart about we go about treating for them. My recent project has some interesting evolution aspects, in that, if the hypothesized mechanism is correct, it could shed some light on how the system evolved. That's interesting to me, personally, because I'm also interested in molecular evolution, though I haven't done any research into that yet. Bacterial evolution is potentially very important to medicine, understanding how virulence systems evolved could help us treat for them.

Perhaps I could work some of the above interests into my MD/PhD essay, while letting my MD essay be more general, less specific, but more of an 'emotional argument'. I suppose that could work.

I remember that try as I might, there was repetition between my essays, especially my MD and my MD/PhD essays. So don't be freaking out if you seem to be stating the same thing over and over again...just make sure the emphasis is different in each. For example, mention research briefly in the MD essay (how it made you want to be a doctor even more), go into a little more detail in the MD/PhD essay (how being a PhD will make you a better doctor), and then go all out in the research essay (what exciting research goals and plans do you have, what have you accomplished, and how do all this help the advancement of medicine).

That makes sense... I think the character limit is largest for the research essay anyway.

would anyone be able to review mine as well, GWD or seraph? i read your essay that you posted, GWD, and mine is not exactly the same, composition and content-wise. i discussed an experience that prompted me to desire a more than clinical career and what i foresee myself doing as a phy/sci and why that is appealing to me. i do not reference any experience specifically simply because i did not find the 3k limit to be enough room... but at the same time im unsure how successful my statement is.

i would really appreciate if anyone could take a look. :)

Thanks guys....this is turning out to be very helpful. I am hoping to be done with all 3 of my statements in 10 days (just in time for scores). Good luck y'all

HEre's another question, regarding the character limit of each of the essays. Write now, on my first draft of the MD essay, I'm about 3 thousand characters shy of the limit. I could probably write more, but at some point, I'm probably just going to be stretching it.

In the interest of not sounding fake, is it a good idea to stay short of the limit? Or should I try to fill up the space, under the assumption that the more I can say about my aspirations, the more impressive it will be.

What do you say guys, can less be more?

ecoli,

unless we are talking about diff papers, the MD statement is 5300 characters so you only have 2300 right now? in my personal opinion, less is more but not in this way. for example some people love to write very fluffly and it is quite distracting in what the actual point is. in this sense, i personally feel that less is more. but lets say if i were on the adcom and i gave you one hour to convince me why you should be let into the school. if you only talked for 15 minutes, i would probably be less than impressed.

rather than BSing it to make the count, maybe include some reflections on the event, what the event has shown you and how you want to apply whatever lesson to the future or how that event has guided you to the next level. i don't think addressing those issues would be fake, but rather quite insightful.

that is what i did for my essay and i have had a number of deans and adcom people review it, including one from hopkins med, and i have heard positive responses. i hope this helps and good luck!

It is to your advantage to try to reach the character limit. Not with fluff, but with insight like the previous poster mentioned. Take the extra space as your opportunity to really shine.

But where's the line between fluff and insight anyway?

I can't really point to one specific event that made me want to be a physician. So far, I've written about how the lack of patient contact in science research made me realize that I want to be a doctor. Also, how witnessing public hysteria concerning medicine they don't understand, has made me want to become the kind of doctor who can help patients actually understand why they are sick and how they can heal.

It might be marginally fluffy, but I'm not really bull****ting any of it.

I would like to point to some personal experience, but honestly, I'm not sure that I have anything that would qualify, without making something up (which I won't do).

Eh, I seem to be stuck.

I am sure there are other incidents in your life that you can use to show side of you that speaks beyond your desire to be MD or GPA or MCAT scores. For example, I was a RA in dorms. I used that to show my compassion to help.

Fluff IMO= using flowery language and repetition to fill the space

I am sure there are other incidents in your life that you can use to show side of you that speaks beyond your desire to be MD or GPA or MCAT scores. For example, I was a RA in dorms. I used that to show my compassion to help.

Fluff IMO= using flowery language and repetition to fill the space

so, in your opinion, they're looking for what you actually did in your life, rather than ability to write eloquently?

/me ponders starting from scratch.

so, in your opinion, they're looking for what you actually did in your life, rather than ability to write eloquently?

/me ponders starting from scratch.

LOL....:laugh:

Just write about what you did eloquently & you are set!!

I'm just worried that it's turning into fluff that way. Eh, I'll figure it out soon. I'm going to try and have my first drafts all finished by this weekend.