MD/PhD ESSAY HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docontheroc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
couple of questions about the MD/PhD essays...

Gimmicks usually abound (anecdotes, metaphors, etc) in the personal statement for the main application, is this the norm for the MD/PhD motivation statement as well? I was really hoping to take a more straightforward approach, and launch right into WHY I'm into science instead of worrying about capturing the readers attention or having to make an impact some other way...

For the significant research experience, should I include my clinical research experience even though my main motivation for pursuing an MD/PhD (like most people) stems from the basic science work I've done?

Can we really be methodical about outlining our work in the research experience at the expense of losing reader interest? How advisable is formating the statement like a research paper? (formulaic for each separate project, ie, intro to topic, methods detailing how experiment was run and what role I played, followed by results, and a discussion of significance, future directions, etc.)

that's all for now...thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Also...how extensively does everything need to be referenced? (do we need citations at all???)

thanks again

I wrote both my PS and MD-PhD essay with the "gimmick" of opening with a personal story. Whether they were being honest or not, I had many interviewers compliment me on the essays.

I would include all significant research experience, regardless of its impact on your career choice (after all, that's what the prompt asks for). With citations, I didn't use any, but none of my work was published. If you feel you need to cite, and have the space, I don't think it can hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gimmicks usually abound (anecdotes, metaphors, etc) in the personal statement for the main application, is this the norm for the MD/PhD motivation statement as well? I was really hoping to take a more straightforward approach, and launch right into WHY I'm into science instead of worrying about capturing the readers attention or having to make an impact some other way...

Put yourself in the adcom's shoes and leave your own for a minute. They have to read dozens or even hundreds of these essays. They probably all have the same reasons you do. If your essay is just another clone of someone else's reasons, they'll probably skim it or read the first few sentences and move on. I know some adcoms that don't even bother to read personal statements for this reason. It only helps you if you can be memorable. You don't have to be memorable because quite honestly, most personal statements aren't particularly and that's just the nature of the situation.

For the significant research experience, should I include my clinical research experience even though my main motivation for pursuing an MD/PhD (like most people) stems from the basic science work I've done?

Sure, why not?

Can we really be methodical about outlining our work in the research experience at the expense of losing reader interest?

You have limited space and limited reader comprehension of your topic, as this is going to a broad scientific audience. Just keep that in mind. Minimal details, no references. One sentence for what the project was and its significance, maybe one sentence for methods, maybe combine that with your role. Spend a small amount of time explaining what you got out of it if you have posters/abstracts/papers and how long you worked on it.

Thanks so much for the great advice!

Anyone else want to weigh in...?

I've found this document really helpful to get started. I know metaphors, etc. feel like gimmicks, but don't approach them like that because an experienced reader can smell it. Instead, think of some event or thing that really embodies who you are as a helpful frame for the adcom to really see the picture you're trying to show them. I think of it like sculpting-enough revisions and the real you will show through. Good luck!

Attachments

• Personal_Statement_Handout.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 532
Thanks. It is a great help. I was having writers block and I think this should help

I think you applied to far too many places.

Seems like a pretty major waste of money.

If you end up choosing Tufts, tell Sergei Mirkin GW said "hello" and I'm still considering that post-doc offer.

I think you applied to far too many places.

Seems like a pretty major waste of money.

If you end up choosing Tufts, tell Sergei Mirkin GW said "hello" and I'm still considering that post-doc offer.

Thanks GW for comment. This is not the final list. I will finalize it after I get my MCAT scores June 25. If my AAMC practice score was any indicator, I will end up with low 30s. This score will certainly make it difficult for me to get into top 10 programs. We shall see how everything turns out.