MD/PhD essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richardlo

MD/PhD applicant
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just wondering how to approach that MD/ PhD essay. The word limit is 3000, so it's not a lot. However, I am wondering what I should write, especially I have already mentioned why I want to do a MD/ PhD in my personal statement already. In my personal statement, I talked about my background, my experiences, the process that led me to medicine and research, etc. and the fact that I wanted to pursue a MD/ PhD degree. So it seems to me that it's kind of redundant to write a MD/ PhD essay detailing why I want to do the dual degree. How do you guys approach it and how NOT to repeat things from the personal statement and the "significant research experiences" essay?

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am just wondering how to approach that MD/ PhD essay. The word limit is 3000, so it's not a lot. However, I am wondering what I should write, especially I have already mentioned why I want to do a MD/ PhD in my personal statement already. In my personal statement, I talked about my background, my experiences, the process that led me to medicine and research, etc. and the fact that I wanted to pursue a MD/ PhD degree. So it seems to me that it's kind of redundant to write a MD/ PhD essay detailing why I want to do the dual degree. How do you guys approach it and how NOT to repeat things from the personal statement and the "significant research experiences" essay?

This may have been addressed in another thread. If not, hopefully you'll get more experienced responses to your inquiry - I'll only begin applying myself in three months. In any case, here's my thought - if you've already covered the "Why MD/PhD?" question in your personal statement, perhaps you should consider it to be the latter essay, and then write a brand new personal statement addressing the question "Why medicine?"

Hope that helps.

-MSTPbound

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

To add to those above.... Also include in the Why MD-PhD portion of the MD-PhD essay is to answer the "why the MD only and PhD only are not as satisfying to you." questions/statements to also provide some reassurances you considered both options.

Good Luck

This has been covered in other threads--you are ultimately signing up for a career in academic medicine, so you should demonstrate in your essay previous experiences in-- your aptitude for-- and desire to obtain further training in-- all 3 broad facets of academic medicine: research, teaching, and patient care.

i took the three essays (ps, md/phd, research) as an opportunity to write three essays that reflected a common theme of "why academic medicine is for me" but each of them addressed them in a slightly different manner. the ps was mainly to address why the MD degree and that you are qualified to enter the profession as a medical doctor (compassion, etc.). md/phd essay was mainly to integrate your rationales for pursuing a dual degree, a bridge between your ps and research essays, if you will. and then obviously, the research essay addresses your significant research experiences.

hope that helps.

Hi all,

Basically, you want to use this essay as an excersize in bullsh*t writing and arse kissing. You need to learn the fine art of convicing administrators that you are very qualified for a position you have no experience in, and have the motivation and steadfast-ness to pursue a very long commitment without having any idea whatsoever what it entails.

The best trick, in my opinion, is to confuse your target audience with a vague allegory of your struggle to achieve your ultimate goal- to be a scut-monkey and lab slave for eight-plus years- and frame this allegory within a construct of something you actually do have some experience in, such as achieving the highest score possible in the Iowa Test of Basic Skills or beating Mike Tyson in Mike Tyson's Punchout. The more personal, the better. The key is to have your essay stand out in some way other than how poor your grammar skills are. This essay will typically be secondary to your scores and grades, and the "admins" will use it to screen out weirdos or to convince themselves that you are somehow better than that other guy with identical scores and a lazy eye.

Good luck!!!!

I can't believe your actually starting this now.:eek: I didn't get mine started until July. Good luck. I'm sure you won't need it.