MD/PhD GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey peeps, I was just wondering...to apply for the MD/PhD programs that various schools offer, do you just need to take the general GRE or a subject test GRE like in bio or something? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You absolutely don't need to take the GRE. Just MCAT.

Yes -- for the most part the GRE is optional. However for Biomedical Engineering the GRE is typically required.

Furthermore some "predoctoral awards" given by certain funding resources request GRE scores at times but sometimes even those can be substituted with your MCAT scores.

Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for MD/PhD with bioengineering, so I decided to take the GRE general test only.

It turns out that I didnt need it for the school I will end up at (Hopkins) but I know that Michigan, UIUC, Ohio St required it, and that some others (UNC) suggested that I take it.

Take the GRE as long as you KNOW you can do extremely, amazingly well on it. The GRE isn't required in the vast majority of cases, but it can definitely be a hinderance if it is poor.