MD/PhD over MD for $ reasons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ran across this thread and thought "Does it really matter?" If you feel like you made less money than your MD-only counterpart, retire a couple years later. In a career that can span over 25 years, a few years pursuing a PhD won't matter much. The important thing is to do what makes you happy. There are examples of successful physicians quitting and going to law school. Life is a journey; you shouldn't wish your life away dreaming of the expensive mercedes you'll be driving 20 years from now.
I know this is an old thread but wow,you read my mind. It seems the only response here is about money in md vs. md/PhD. How about career options? Can you match in a competitive residency with an md vs. an md/PhD?Even though money is a factor, I hope that both parties have a love for patients and science regardless if they are an md or an md/PhD. Whether it takes you 4 or 8 years to complete your degrees both of you are practitioners and responsible for people’s lives. So if you want to just do an MD, good for you. If you want to do an MD/PHD, that’s good too. Either way, medicine is a long journey and you’ll be in debt. So strap up and enjoy the ride. If you love what you do, it doesn’t matter how long it will take you to do it.

Members don't see this ad.