MD/PhD Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioBeaver

Rah Virginia Mil.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do MD/PhD programs have different undergrad prerequisites than MD programs? In other words, would being on a school's "Pre-med" track as an undergrad keep your options open for applying MD/PhD?

You would think because of the additional research and scientific requirements for the PhD, they might have a little tougher prereqs. Or is your research experience in undergrad supposed to fill that gap?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you also definitely have to look at the requirements for the PhD program you plan to attend. For example, if you want to do a PhD in chemistry (I choose this only because it is my area and I have worked with MD/PhD chemistry students) you typically have to have exposure to organic, analytical, physical, inorganic, and biochemistry [some chemistry departments don't require biochem]. If you enter a PhD program without that background (or acing an entrance exam in several of those fields) then you typically have to take remedial coursework before the department will allow you to do graduate coursework. Likewise, I would assume calculus, differential equations, and calculus based physics would typically be required of an engineering graduate student, whereas less exposure to those areas is required for an MD-only applicant.