MD/PhD Programs in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphdinepi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I was accepted this spring into an MSTP that allows me to pursue a PhD in Epidemiology. There are few schools that offer MD/PhDs in Epi, and fewer that are MSTPs. I had a hard time locating these programs while I was applying last year, so click here for a PDF that I made for my own reference. It includes a list of these schools, deadlines, average MCAT/GPA, program URLs, etc. The information may NOT be up to date. Note that I included a few schools that offer similar programs (ex. Community and Population Health Research).

Good luck.

PS. For a blog version of this info, see http://mdphdinepidemiology.blogspot.com/

No. University Name
1 U Alabama Birmingham
2 U Arizona
3 U Southern California
4 UC San Diego
5 UC Irvine
6 U Colorado
7 U Miami
8 Yale
9 Emory
10 U Illinois Chicago
11 U Iowa
12 U Kentucky
13 U Louiseville
14 LSU
15 Johns Hopkins
16 U Maryland
17 U Mass
18 University of Michigan
19 Mayo
20 U Minnesota
21 Columbia
22 U Buffalo
23 U Rochester
24 UNC
25 Case Western
26 U Pitt
27 Medical University of South Carolina
28 U Texas Medical Branch
29 West Virginia U
30 U Washington
31 U Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Friends,

I was accepted this spring into an MSTP that allows me to pursue a PhD in Epidemiology. There are few schools that offer MD/PhDs in Epi, and fewer that are MSTPs. I had a hard time locating these programs while I was applying last year, so click here for a PDF that I made for my own reference. It includes a list of these schools, deadlines, average MCAT/GPA, program URLs, etc. The information may NOT be up to date. Note that I included a few schools that offer similar programs (ex. Community and Population Health Research).

Good luck.

PS. For a blog version of this info, see http://mdphdinepidemiology.blogspot.com/

No. University Name
1 U Alabama Birmingham
2 U Arizona
3 U Southern California
4 UC San Diego
5 UC Irvine
6 U Colorado
7 U Miami
8 Yale
9 Emory
10 U Illinois Chicago
11 U Iowa
12 U Kentucky
13 U Louiseville
14 LSU
15 Johns Hopkins
16 U Maryland
17 U Mass
19 Mayo
20 U Minnesota
21 Columbia
22 U Buffalo
23 U Rochester
24 UNC
25 Case Western
26 U Pitt
29 West Virginia U
30 U Wisconsin

Thanks for putting this together. You left off UW:
http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/EDUCATION/MD-PHD-PROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

Among the participating graduate departments are Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biostatistics, Biological Structure, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Genome Sciences, Global Health, Immunology, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology and Biophysics, and Zoology.

@atsai3 - Thanks for reminding me about UWashington! It was one of the main schools that I considered, so I'm surprised that I forgot it on the list. I have updated the PDF file.

@Neuronix - Feel free to link as you feel best.

What about Penn, Harvard and UCLA? I know they all are supporters of Epi...

And I was told by Arizona no epi there for MD-PhD.

A few changes (unless it's changed in the last three years):

No. University Name
1 U Alabama Birmingham
2 U Arizona--Not sure they have one in practice
3 U Southern California--No program option for this in practice
4 UC San Diego
5 UC Irvine
6 U Colorado
7 U Miami
8 Yale
9 Emory
10 U Illinois Chicago
11 U Iowa
12 U Kentucky-Not sure it's true in practice (Nutrition Epi)
13 U Louiseville
14 LSU-Not sure this is true in practice
15 Johns Hopkins
16 U Maryland
17 U Mass
19 Mayo
20 U Minnesota
21 Columbia
22 U Buffalo
23 U Rochester
24 UNC
25 Case Western
26 U Pitt
29 West Virginia U
30 U Washington
31 U Wisconsin

32) U Florida
33) U Maryland
34) Harvard (molecular epi)
35) Yeshiva (clinical research option)

Also, some of the averages you report are the minimum requirements for application to the program; the actual averages of accepted students are higher than that.

Last edited:
According to info this year, USC supports epi, but it is not an MSTP.

Also, genetic epi is NOT the only possible option at Harvard. You can also pursue the ScD in Epi

wow this is a great list! thank you SO much for sharing this information. I'm in the process of finishing up my MPH at UC Davis and am now seriously considering an MD/PhD. I've been working in the ER while doing public health research and I really can't imagine choosing between clinical and research. I would really love to do both, with an emphasis on research, so MSTP seems ideal.

However, I was definitely having a hard time figuring out which schools offer an MSTP with the PhD in a "non-traditional" area such as a public health concentration (eg. epi). So this is a great resource for me!

I was wondering if you knew what sort of careers follow for those with the MD/PhD in public health? For the traditional MD/PhD in a bench science, I know the majority continue as clinical researchers, so do you just continue with your research focus in a public health setting and not a clinical setting?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and thank you again for sharing :)