MD PHD programs

Started by hnbui
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, does anyone know any good websites containing information about MD PHD programs? Information such how to get into such a program, etc.

also do all who get into md phd program end up doing research?

I'm interested in being a field doctor and work with HIV/AIDS infected patients and patients infected with other viral/bacterial pathogens. I would like to do some research in virology but spend more time treating patients. Should i look into md phd programs?
 
hnbui said:
Hey, does anyone know any good websites containing information about MD PHD programs? Information such how to get into such a program, etc.

also do all who get into md phd program end up doing research?

I'm interested in being a field doctor and work with HIV/AIDS infected patients and patients infected with other viral/bacterial pathogens. I would like to do some research in virology but spend more time treating patients. Should i look into md phd programs?

Check http://intransit.us/, they have tons of info about it. If you want to spend most of your time treating patients, maybe(IMHO 😉 ) you would be better in a MD program that is very research-oriented, such as Harvard's HST (the first one that came to my mind).
 
This is the link for the MD/PhD Haven. You definitely want to read this guidebook because it answers all the questions that most people have when starting to look at MD/PhD programs.

http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~jcholfin/index.html

As milliardo_l said, intransit.us is also a great site. Thanks to all you SDNers who contributed to making these resources available to us. I'm not sure of who all was in on this, but I know that we owe Habari and Vader a big thank you!

good luck hnbui!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, that link is great. I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting it.
 
hnbui said:
I would like to do some research in virology but spend more time treating patients. Should i look into md phd programs?

No, the MD/PhD program is designed for those who want to do at least 50% (more like 80%+) basic science research. If you want to do mostly patient care, than most MD/PhD programs are not designed for you. There are other programs to get you exposed to research in medical school and beyond if you want to learn a bit.
 
Neuronix said:
No, the MD/PhD program is designed for those who want to do at least 50% (more like 80%+) basic science research. If you want to do mostly patient care, than most MD/PhD programs are not designed for you. There are other programs to get you exposed to research in medical school and beyond if you want to learn a bit.


know of any such programs? Do you know their names?