MD/PHD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwannagetin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows an MD/PHD program that is relatively easy to get into? and generally what criteria are required in successful applicants to MD/PHD programs. Does one's research have to be in the bio or medical sciences? thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

For MD/PhD as far as I know, they are typically harder than the MD program. Your MCAT score must be 4-5 pts higher than their avg and your GPA must be higher too. Beside there are only a few MD/PhD student per school, I think. Maybe that is just the case for the school that I am interesting in.

Iwannagetin said:
Hey everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows an MD/PHD program that is relatively easy to get into? and generally what criteria are required in successful applicants to MD/PHD programs. Does one's research have to be in the bio or medical sciences? thanks a lot.

I found that I had an easier time getting interviews at MD/PhD programs that were a part of "easier to get in" med schools. If your stats are in the ball park of the med school and you've had considerable research experience, good recs, and can talk intelligently about said research, then you should have a good shot. Just make sure to apply to a good range of schools (check out the MSTP forum for more info)~

Also, your research does not necessarily need to be in a bio lab (most of mine was computational, though with clinical application).

Members don't see this ad :)
DrHopeless said:
For MD/PhD as far as I know, they are typically harder than the MD program. Your MCAT score must be 4-5 pts higher than their avg and your GPA must be higher too. Beside there are only a few MD/PhD student per school, I think. Maybe that is just the case for the school that I am interesting in.

This isn't necessarily the case-- my gpa was lower than the avg of just about everywhere I was interviewed and accepted. True, there are only a few MD/PhD spots open in each class, but there's fewer people going after them. For someone like me who's background is very research-heavy and has very mediocre stats, I felt like the MD/PhD route was almost easier.

Most of your questions should probably be covered at http://www.intransit.us/ .

No your research doesn't have to be in a biology lab. Mine was in physics.

I got offers for MD only interviews at a few more (and in my opinion slightly better) schools than I got interviews for MD/PhD. So, IMO I feel that you do probably need better stats to get into the MD/PhD program than you do to get into the MD program of a particular school. But they do also tend to look more at the whole person (from personal observation) and not just the numbers so if you have some pretty awsome research and mediocre numbers you are probably just fine.

I'm convinced I would not have gotten into my school straight MD. They have very different criteria for admissions - MD wanted Peace Corps, MSTP wanted research. The med administration still gives me dirty looks....

srmonkey said:
I'm convinced I would not have gotten into my school straight MD. They have very different criteria for admissions - MD wanted Peace Corps, MSTP wanted research. The med administration still gives me dirty looks....
Too funny. I was in the same boat. After 7 years of putting up with me, the med school reluctantly gave me my diploma. I'm sure they are pondering what kind of demonspawn they had unleashed into the medical community :laugh: I wonder if the Dean has trouble sleeping at night...