MD/PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

baylor21

I was wondering if any of you guys are in or plan to apply to MD/PhD programs. I'm assuming that research experience is vital to getting accepted, but how much? 4 years? 2 years?

Do you know what else they look at that might be different from just normal MD programs? Just trying to gauge my chances of getting accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

All of my friends who are applying to MD/PhD programs have 4 or more years of research experience and are published. I'm not saying this is absolutely necessary to get in, but MD/PhD programs are known to be extremely competitive and this is just my experience of the type of people applying for them. Good Luck.

-RDO

I think that the difficulty of getting into MD-PhD programs is often overestimated. Yes, they are competitive, but I have heard gossip such as: you must be published, you must have a GPA of >3.9, you must have an MCAT of >39, you must have published in top journals, etc, etc, in order to be admitted to a top MD-PhD program. All of these are grossly untrue. I was at an interview at a top-5 school last week, and one of the other interviewees mentioned that she had not done any research until midway through her college career. I myself have been doing research since high school, but am not published. It doesn't seem to have hurt me much. I think that your PI's opinion of you counts far more than whether he chose to be do you a favor and put your name on a paper. You do need good research and lots of it, but don't let anybody scare you away from applying if you think an MD-PhD program is the right thing for you. Best of luck.