MD/PhD question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvalento

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
one question about MD/PhD programs- do many of them allow first year med students to apply? i ask because i am interested in these programs but i do not have the research experience to apply directly to one- however, i am joining a microbiology lab this fall and should have a year's experience by the time i graduate. the only research experience i have so far is one semester of organic chem . i am not positive that i want to enter one of these programs, but i would still like to have the option in the future. i am currently applying to MD programs for the fall of 2001- will i be able, if i so choose, to apply for entry into a dual-degree program after my first year of med school? i know some schools allow this (e.g. u of minnesota); however, i don't know if it is a common practice. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For the most part I don't think it is a problem. Some schools even refund you tution from the previous year if you decide to join their MD/PhD progrm (Albert Einstein). Most other schools I think you just have to reapply as an MD/PhD candidate.

So, is it more difficult to get into a MD/PhD program after the first year of school than as a med school applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mvalento:
one question about MD/PhD programs- do many of them allow first year med students to apply?

I think most MD/PhD programs encourage interested M1s to apply as internal candidates. This is just a speculation, but I think you'd be at a significant advantage for admisssion over people who were applying right out of college, as long as you've performed well the first year of med school.
A year of research will also greatly improve your chances.

If you want to do an MD/PHD apply to the program directly...If you are already in the first year of med school then don't do it...it's really not worth it...you'll end up making more money practicing medicine. Don't do an MD/Ph.D unless it's from a good school ,that is, Hopkins, Harvard, Stanford...etc...Graduating from an okay MD/PHD program will make it more difficult to obtain grants!

i didn't know this question has been brought up already.

guys, if you enroll as a MD/PhD student, then you decide that it's not what you want to pursue, can u go back and do MD instead?

Originally posted by MTY:
guys, if you enroll as a MD/PhD student, then you decide that it's not what you want to pursue, can u go back and do MD instead?

If you aren't very sure you want to do MD/PhD you probably won't be accepted. You can leave the program at any point, but this is strongly discouraged. Some schoool require that you pay them back for the tuition and stipend.