MD/PhD secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tally

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the MD/PhD, do you always have to fill out the MD-only secondaries in addition to any other essays they might have you write?

Members don't see this ad.

For the MD/PhD, do you always have to fill out the MD-only secondaries in addition to any other essays they might have you write?

That seems to be the theme for a lot of schools I applied to, unfortunately...

U. of Minnesota has no secondary for MD/PhD applicants (but they do have one for MD-only. This is one of the reasons that you can't be considered for both in the same cycle.)

Other than that, yeah, there was the MD-only secondary plus some extra questions for pretty much everywhere that I applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally yes, as stated above, but so far I've had 1 that had no secondary for MSTP, 1 that has two rounds of MSTP-specific secondaries (zzzz), and most of the rest had regular secondaries + extra questions or forms.

Some schools will specifically state: "MD/PhD applicants, please complete the following question in place of question X". This happened to me at one of my schools, although I don't remember which. I do remember that the easiest MD-only question was the one they told the MD/PhD applicants not to do...:mad:

:laugh:

U. of Minnesota has no secondary for MD/PhD applicants (but they do have one for MD-only. This is one of the reasons that you can't be considered for both in the same cycle.)

Other than that, yeah, there was the MD-only secondary plus some extra questions for pretty much everywhere that I applied.

Yeah I'm a big fan of U. of Minnesota, I think every MD/PhD admissions committee should adopt that strategy..One can only dream though..

Ah, brutal! Thanks for the heads-up everyone!