MD/PhD waitlist question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtmed95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am waitlisted at a MD/PhD program I really want to go to. There are 6 seats in the program. I've heard that this year, schools accept fewer people and waitlist more because of the new amcas system. I'm wondering if that also applies to MD/PhD programs?

For example, if they only have 6 seats, did they only accept 6 so far?

If they also interviewed about 40 applicants, how many of those are on the waitlist?

I know for the MD only they have 125 seats, waitlist 50 and accept 25 from the waitlist. I'm not sure if/how that relates to the MD/PHD.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am waitlisted at a MD/PhD program I really want to go to. There are 6 seats in the program. I've heard that this year, schools accept fewer people and waitlist more because of the new amcas system. I'm wondering if that also applies to MD/PhD programs?

For example, if they only have 6 seats, did they only accept 6 so far?

If they also interviewed about 40 applicants, how many of those are on the waitlist?

I know for the MD only they have 125 seats, waitlist 50 and accept 25 from the waitlist. I'm not sure if/how that relates to the MD/PHD.

Thanks!
You might not know until applicants who were accepted into the MD/PhD program begin to accept, withdraw, decline (on or before April 30, 2019).

You will likely see activity between April 15-30, 2019, and even after May 1, depending on the movement of different applicants.

If you're feeling particularly ambitious, you might want to contact the program that waitlisted you and ask them these questions. They might be able to provide you with additional information, based upon their particular protocol and model. It couldn't hurt to ask. Just saying.

For further information about MD/PhD acceptance protocol, please review:
https://students-residents.aamc.org...lication-and-acceptance-protocols-applicants/

I wish you the best of success!

Given that both over and under enrolling are bigger problems for MD/PhD programs than for MD-only, I suspect that programs are indeed being very conservative with giving out acceptances, particularly those at smaller programs with fewer seats to begin with.

However, the only people who would able to give you precise numbers or a more frank accounting of what is going on is the school itself. I would recommend sending an e-mail or calling the director, they will probably be upfront and frank with you about what is going on, anyway that has been my experience.