MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snilmot

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to apply as an MD/PhD candidate at UPenn, Stanford, and WashU, or just as an MD. I'm applying MD/PhD everywhere else, but I don't know if my MCAT's are good enough in bio and phys sections to have a shot. Any advice will be appreciated.
GPA 3.99, MCAT 10, 10, 13-15. I have good research experience, one manuscript in process, three years hospital experience and vol activity. Goldwater scholar. Bio major.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, Penn is unlikely to give you a MD interview if you're rejected for MD/PhD. For this reason I'd recommend applying MD to Penn.

Wash U sent me invites for both MD and MD/PhD interviews. I don't think they penalize (in terms of time or consideration) MD/PhD rejects much for the MD program. The application is really long, but I'd highly recommend that you apply MD/PhD to Wash U--they have a great program.

I don't have personal experience with Stanford, but I do know that their MD/PhD program is extremely competitive.