MD program dont like RNs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeitrain6969

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a RN who wants to be a doctor. She spoke with a MD regarding her interest in medical school. The MD said the MD programs dont favor nurses because they dont want to increase the nursing shortage in the U.S. i just have to ask, is this really true? I would think MD/DO schools would like to accept RNs because of their clincal experience...

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who is a RN who wants to be a doctor. She spoke with a MD regarding her interest in medical school. The MD said the MD programs dont favor nurses because they dont want to increase the nursing shortage in the U.S. i just have to ask, is this really true? I would think MD/DO schools would like to accept RNs because of their clincal experience...

Med Schools accept students from ALL academic/career backgrounds as long as they're competitive and appear to have put some thought into "why medicine as a career".

Is there still a nursing shortage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nursing shortage in undesirable places to live, maybe. Most want to raise a family, and I don't think they feel inner city Detroit is conducive to that.

Med Schools accept students from ALL academic/career backgrounds as long as they're competitive and appear to have put some thought into "why medicine as a career".

Is there still a nursing shortage?

Yeah thats what i thought. She's really smart with a very competitive gpa but she got discouraged when that MD said that to her. So from wht you know, that statement is false?

They say there is a nursing shortage but i dont believe that. We have 7 RN programs here...there are so many new grads that cant find jobs..

Nursing shortage in undesirable places to live, maybe. Most want to raise a family, and I don't think they feel inner city Detroit is conducive to that.

Thats true. Nursing shortage is false. Nursing is all over the commercials and there are so many nursing schools.

There is no nursing shortage in big cities. In San Diego, all the hospitals want ~1 year of prior experience (pref. in an acute setting) before hiring. Usually new grads start off in a nursing home, clinic, etc.

Foreign grad nurses don't have to complete a lengthy residency before being licensed... they only need to get a Visa and pass the exam(s). Salary level is the same compared to American grads, but obviously the cost of education in a foreign country is cheaper.

There ARE nursing shortages in undesireable places, but then usually everything else is short there too.

Don't know anything about medical school and prior RN's. The only caveat I would think of is that nursing classes are not BCPM (science) for the purposes of sGPA for the AMCAS, and they tend to be hard and depress your GPA. As a prior RN, you would have tons of medical experience the average pre-med applicant would not have.

I heard something similar before, but it was more in reference to students that intend on applying to medical school and get their undergraduate degree in nursing as a back-up for if they can't get into medical school. I don't think anyone has a problem with a nurse who decides after working in the medical field they want to continue their education and become a doctor, but some adcomms take issue with someone taking a spot in a professional school with no intention of actually working in that field.

To answer the OP's actual question, I think the MD was just full of it. Med schools accept people from all walks of life and probably do value people with previous clinical experience like nurses or PAs. If your application is otherwise solid, it will only help you. Med schools want the best applicants possible. They could care less whether they contribute to a nursing shortage or not.

I know several former nurses who are currently in medical school, including several top 10 medical schools. If your friend has a good application, her RN shouldn't hold her back.

I don't think it should stop you from doing what you want, but my nursing friends have certainly told me they were pretty harshly grilled by their interviewers on why they were leaving the nursing field to become a doctor. I don't think it's that doctors dislike RNs. Maybe they feel like you're betraying your health care clan to make more money. I doubt they feel the same about any other upward profession switch. That isn't fair to an applicant from the nursing field, but the feeling definitely exists out there.

I am an RN and have had a very successful application cycle: accepted to 5 MD programs with a couple more pending responses post- interview. I can think of many stories like mine:) so tell your friend not to fret.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah thats what i thought. She's really smart with a very competitive gpa but she got discouraged when that MD said that to her. So from wht you know, that statement is false?

They say there is a nursing shortage but i dont believe that. We have 7 RN programs here...there are so many new grads that cant find jobs..

Tell your friend, if her GPA is very competitive and MCAT's as well, then why in gods name does she care what anyone says? Exactly, if she does have a nice GPA, stellar MCATs, good EC, then she shouldn't be phased by anyone's dumb opinion, even if god himself told her she needed to stay in nursing since there was a shortage and that her chances to get into med school were low.

people care too much what others think, stop caring, just do what you want to do. If you have the necessary attributes to get into med school, then be confident that you can get in. How are you going to be a doctor with low confidence. "Hey this guy has cancer." think to self "should I give him chemo cause I know it is the right thing and something him and his family would want, or should I do what the other doctor said, 'don't give any hint of hope'" Do you what you learn, do what you should, and take others advice, comments, advice as a grain of mutha freakin salt.

Tell her if she is indeed disturbed by this doctors comment, then either her GPA/MCAT is not high enough, or that she should quit her dreams due to the fact that she is being affected by such an insignificant discussion. Make note of this last comment, no one, I mean no one who is seriously set on becoming a doctor should have to think twice about their desire after a pretty informal and quite insignificant discussion as that which you just described.

There is no nursing shortage in big cities. In San Diego, all the hospitals want ~1 year of prior experience (pref. in an acute setting) before hiring. Usually new grads start off in a nursing home, clinic, etc.

Foreign grad nurses don't have to complete a lengthy residency before being licensed... they only need to get a Visa and pass the exam(s). Salary level is the same compared to American grads, but obviously the cost of education in a foreign country is cheaper.

There ARE nursing shortages in undesireable places, but then usually everything else is short there too.

Don't know anything about medical school and prior RN's. The only caveat I would think of is that nursing classes are not BCPM (science) for the purposes of sGPA for the AMCAS, and they tend to be hard and depress your GPA. As a prior RN, you would have tons of medical experience the average pre-med applicant would not have.

this is very true. I don't know why people keep saying there is a nursing shortage. It's not true. If anything, we have too many nurses.

To answer the OP's actual question, I think the MD was just full of it. Med schools accept people from all walks of life and probably do value people with previous clinical experience like nurses or PAs. If your application is otherwise solid, it will only help you. Med schools want the best applicants possible. They could care less whether they contribute to a nursing shortage or not.

This is nice to hear. That's why i was shocked when I heard that statement by the MD. I would think being a RN would somewhat be an advantage for medical school.

I know several former nurses who are currently in medical school, including several top 10 medical schools. If your friend has a good application, her RN shouldn't hold her back.

She has a great gpa and she is very competitive for medical school. Thanks for the info.

I don't think it should stop you from doing what you want, but my nursing friends have certainly told me they were pretty harshly grilled by their interviewers on why they were leaving the nursing field to become a doctor. I don't think it's that doctors dislike RNs. Maybe they feel like you're betraying your health care clan to make more money. I doubt they feel the same about any other upward profession switch. That isn't fair to an applicant from the nursing field, but the feeling definitely exists out there.

I can see why they would grill a RN trying to practice medicine. I think it is a straight foward answer. As a RN, you practice "nursing" not medicine. Rns can't directly treat the patient themselves and must always follow doctor's orders....something like this lol

I am an RN and have had a very successful application cycle: accepted to 5 MD programs with a couple more pending responses post- interview. I can think of many stories like mine:) so tell your friend not to fret.

THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!! Congrats! I will 4 sure tell my friend about you! Did they ask you why you switched from nursing to medicine? if so, what did you say?

There are nurses in my class as well as EMTs, phDs, counselors, teachers, ex military, even a pilot people from all over. Med schools look for well rounded individuals who are intelligent and who know why they want to be a physician and who will succeed in medical school So i tell everyone, if you want it bad enough go for it!

THank you! Now this sounds like my friend can become a doctor.

Tell your friend, if her GPA is very competitive and MCAT's as well, then why in gods name does she care what anyone says? Exactly, if she does have a nice GPA, stellar MCATs, good EC, then she shouldn't be phased by anyone's dumb opinion, even if god himself told her she needed to stay in nursing since there was a shortage and that her chances to get into med school were low.

people care too much what others think, stop caring, just do what you want to do. If you have the necessary attributes to get into med school, then be confident that you can get in. How are you going to be a doctor with low confidence. "Hey this guy has cancer." think to self "should I give him chemo cause I know it is the right thing and something him and his family would want, or should I do what the other doctor said, 'don't give any hint of hope'" Do you what you learn, do what you should, and take others advice, comments, advice as a grain of mutha freakin salt.

Tell her if she is indeed disturbed by this doctors comment, then either her GPA/MCAT is not high enough, or that she should quit her dreams due to the fact that she is being affected by such an insignificant discussion. Make note of this last comment, no one, I mean no one who is seriously set on becoming a doctor should have to think twice about their desire after a pretty informal and quite insignificant discussion as that which you just described.

Thanks for the informative response. SHe is very competitive, i know that much. She was just afraid that her actually being a RN would hold her from becoming a doctor. But i guess with everyones response, being a RN really wont look bad for med school. Thanks

No problem, again she shouldn't have to fear even if she was a serial killer as long as her GPA/MCAT's were high enough, and her heart was in it(exaggeration but you know).

No problem, again she shouldn't have to fear even if she was a serial killer as long as her GPA/MCAT's were high enough, and her heart was in it(exaggeration but you know).

Hahahaha thanks man

Generally, nursing is a terminal degree and similar to allopathic programs being leery of people in dentistry/pharmacy/pt/ot wanting to become MDs they are also leery of RNs. Also, nursing experience and clinical experience are widely different.

Generally, nursing is a terminal degree and similar to allopathic programs being leery of people in dentistry/pharmacy/pt/ot wanting to become MDs they are also leery of RNs. Also, nursing experience and clinical experience are widely different.

Perhaps u meant "first professional degree" as in BSN or even BEng (engineering) as opposed to terminal degree (PhD, DNP etc).

But then again, tons of engineers, lawyers etc enter med school every year, and I don't think they have an special hurdle to clear besides coming across as someone who has put some forethought into pursuing medicine...

no. on my first day of medical school the dean asked how many of us had been in nursing prior to medical school - to their surprise nobody raised their hand; typically there at least 3-4 per class (out of 150)

I'm not a med student but quite honestly, the problem is that your friend is asking other people to tell her whether or not she should apply to medical school. It's not like she's asking which shirt she should wear to a job interview, or what place has the best pad thai. It's a decade of her life devoted to school and training.

Also...the logic behind the idea tht med schools aren't accepting nurses because there is a nursing shortage doesn't make any sense. Rejecting a dissatisfied R.N. from med school does not ensure that he/she continues to be an RN.