MD program in Australia??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oliviaa345

Reaction score
Hey guys,
so I am currently in my second year of undergraduate studies in the US. I am looking to study abroad in Australia at one of the Unis there. I've heard UQ is good but do they accept transfer credits? any other MD programs good that do not require a bachelor's degree and may accept my credits? Please Don't tell me to stay in the US- I've heard it all before, I want the global MD experience as well as the life experience as well. Where do the majority of international MD students attend and which Uni is easier to do rotations and clinicals or residencies back in the states? Any suggestions would be great

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not quite following--are you trying to transfer into an MBBS program, or are you planning to get an Australian MD after completing your bachelor's in the US? I think the former is not very likely to happen but I'm not an expert there. You would almost certainly need to start from the beginning, and I'm not even sure what the prospects are for that for non-Australian students. Also, most medical degrees in Australia have transitioned to a postgraduate model, so you would need a bachelors first regardless. This is true of UQ as well, you need a Bachelor's to apply.

If you're planning for an MD, you should consider the UQ-Ochsner program if you absolutely do not want to remain in the US as that will prepare you for medicine in the US while giving you two years abroad. If you choose to do a 4 year MD program in Australia, it is possible to match to the US but you will find it very difficult to match into anything other than FM or IM, and will have an ~50% chance of not matching at all. Those that didn't match were able to find positions in Australia. So if you go down this path, you should be prepared to remain in Australia for the long term.