MD Required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwayshop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given that my primary interest lies in clinical quality improvement through implementation rather than research, would an MBA/MPH provide me with enough credentials?

How would an added credential of being an MD help for this path?

Members don't see this ad.

clinical quality improvement through implementation rather than research
Care to elaborate? If you are thinking of a business model I would think that an MPH would be qualified, but as far as certain pharmaceuticals/therapies to implement I would think an MD might be uniquely qualified.

Given that my primary interest lies in clinical quality improvement through implementation rather than research, would an MBA/MPH provide me with enough credentials?

How would an added credential of being an MD help for this path?

Well you need a MD/DO for any clinical involvement period. However clinical quality improvement through implementation is slightly a spin. Are you looking towards being the Head of the hospital or do you want to be on the scene working with people. Either way you'll need a MD/DO a MPH would be helpful but a MBA wouldn't be, its a degree for involving yourself in managing a business not a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you need a MD/DO for any clinical involvement period. However clinical quality improvement through implementation is slightly a spin. Are you looking towards being the Head of the hospital or do you want to be on the scene working with people. Either way you'll need a MD/DO a MPH would be helpful but a MBA wouldn't be, its a degree for involving yourself in managing a business not a hospital.

Some MBA programs offer a health care management track.

I am thinking more in terms of general hospital management with a focus on clinical quality. Would MD be of a significant addition?

I agree with serenade

Not true. Being head of a hospital does not require an MD or DO degree. Paul Levy runs one of Harvard's major teaching hospitals (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center) and is not a physician. There are plenty of administrative positions in hospitals that do not require you to be a doctor. If you want to treat patients, then obviously the OP should look into a clinical career. If you want an administrative role at a hospital, MPH/MBA would be one of several very plausible options you could take.

Additionally, an MBA is not a bad idea since much of what goes on in hospital administration involves improving your business model in addition to improving care. Although experience in clinical care would help a person stand at the helm of a hospital, it certainly is not a requirement.