alwayshop

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Given that my primary interest lies in clinical quality improvement through implementation rather than research, would an MBA/MPH provide me with enough credentials?

How would an added credential of being an MD help for this path?

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
clinical quality improvement through implementation rather than research
Care to elaborate? If you are thinking of a business model I would think that an MPH would be qualified, but as far as certain pharmaceuticals/therapies to implement I would think an MD might be uniquely qualified.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Given that my primary interest lies in clinical quality improvement through implementation rather than research, would an MBA/MPH provide me with enough credentials?

How would an added credential of being an MD help for this path?
Well you need a MD/DO for any clinical involvement period. However clinical quality improvement through implementation is slightly a spin. Are you looking towards being the Head of the hospital or do you want to be on the scene working with people. Either way you'll need a MD/DO a MPH would be helpful but a MBA wouldn't be, its a degree for involving yourself in managing a business not a hospital.

futureboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical
Well you need a MD/DO for any clinical involvement period. However clinical quality improvement through implementation is slightly a spin. Are you looking towards being the Head of the hospital or do you want to be on the scene working with people. Either way you'll need a MD/DO a MPH would be helpful but a MBA wouldn't be, its a degree for involving yourself in managing a business not a hospital.
Some MBA programs offer a health care management track.

alwayshop

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am thinking more in terms of general hospital management with a focus on clinical quality. Would MD be of a significant addition?

MedMan25

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Not true. Being head of a hospital does not require an MD or DO degree. Paul Levy runs one of Harvard's major teaching hospitals (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center) and is not a physician. There are plenty of administrative positions in hospitals that do not require you to be a doctor. If you want to treat patients, then obviously the OP should look into a clinical career. If you want an administrative role at a hospital, MPH/MBA would be one of several very plausible options you could take.

Additionally, an MBA is not a bad idea since much of what goes on in hospital administration involves improving your business model in addition to improving care. Although experience in clinical care would help a person stand at the helm of a hospital, it certainly is not a requirement.