MD Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How conducive is an MD to research?

How viable is it to pursue an MD mainly for research?

Does an MD offer any advantages to a PhD when going into research?

Is clinical work and research mutually exclusive, or can an MD pursue both upon completion of his education? (And if both, would that necessitate both admission to residency and a postdoc program?)

Is a post doc required for an MD to do research? (Major research, not just second/third author at some shoddy journal)

I know the NIH pays off a portion of MD loans upon admission to a post doc program, is there anything that can be done about the rest?

What I'm generally trying to understand is what is the extent to which a physician can pursue research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How conducive is an MD to research?
This varies by school and candidate. Many great researchers are MD's.

How viable is it to pursue an MD mainly for research?
I can't recommend it.

Does an MD offer any advantages to a PhD when going into research?
You can touch patients if you have a license.

Is clinical work and research mutually exclusive, or can an MD pursue both upon completion of his education? (And if both, would that necessitate both admission to residency and a postdoc program?)
A residency (or at least some residency training) is required for licensure. Without a license you cannot perform the duties nor have the privileges of a physician. A physician can do research without a post-doc but a PhD cannot give medical care.

Is a post doc required for an MD to do research? (Major research, not just second/third author at some shoddy journal)
No.

I know the NIH pays off a portion of MD loans upon admission to a post doc program, is there anything that can be done about the rest?

I am not familiar with all such programs. They expand and contract on the whims of each administration.

What I'm generally trying to understand is what is the extent to which a physician can pursue research?
As much or little as he is motivated and qualified to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user