MD/Stripper/BlackJackDearler: Which One Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderCole

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To Whomever Can Answer:
My name is Cole. I am 22, and in graduate school. I have been pursuing an exit to the labrinyth known as medical school admissions. A few schools were nice (FEW), and the rest said everything short of McDonald's is hiring. I am not good at tests at all, and I know it has hurt me. I have taken the MCAT 3 times (stop laughing) and the highest I have gotten is a 22 (two 7s, one 8, and a S). I am not sure if I should try and take a Kaplan course and try one last time. I want to be an MD and not necessarily an RN. I realize that the embarrassment will grow, but it is a chance I am willing to take. I have years of volunteer experience in hospitals (10), I have counseled drug addicts and runaways, have worked on 2 research studies, and I am working on a MS. It seems like the damn MCAT keeps deflating my tires.
If anyone can give me advice without hinting "Do you want fries with that?", I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
Hopeful future MD,
Cole

Members don't see this ad.

If you are really passionate about pursuing an MD, I say keep going for it. I really, really REALLY, hated studying for that stupid MCAT, but I knew I'd never be happy as an RN, PA, or anything else for that matter. So I sucked it up, got the parents to fork over the $1100 bucks for Kaplan(gotta love 'em), and I studied like it was my job for three months. Incidentally, I also had a full time real job at the time.

I was getting like 21-23 on my initial practice tests (Before the class started), and was able to score 10-10-10 on the real deal. So I'd say the class (and the 3 months of suffering) did the trick. Yep, Jan-April 1999 totally sucked because of that stupid test, but now I'm four weeks from starting med school, and four years from realizing the only dream I've ever worked toward. That's a great feeling! The best of luck to you, Mango

WonderCole,

I know that you've posted on the allopathic page, but I was curious about whether or not you would consider an osteopathic medical school. You seem very enthusiastic about becoming a physician and I was thinking this may be the best option for you. Since you wrote only about your MCAT scores in your post, it left me wondering about your grades. If you don't mind posting them, what are your science and overall GPAs?

Osteopathic med schools are well known for going beyond the numbers and trying to explore "real" person. Since you have the enthusiasm and the work experience, I think that you might have a good shot. Additionally, if your grades are better than you MCAT scores, I think that you might even be a shoe in for a seat at an osteopathic medical school. If you don't know too much about osteopathy, visit http://www.aacom.org If you like what you see, why not give them a try? It's still not too late to apply. You can even fill out the form on the internet.

Amit
NYCOM, Class of 2002

[This message has been edited by AMS-007 (edited 07-10-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't usually post my grades up, but my undergrad GPA was a 3.4., and my undergrad science GPA was a 3.2 (Calculus did me in).
I am in graduate school now, and my GPA there (which is also the science GPA as Microbiology is my major) is a 3.54.

WonderCole,

I think that you have a fairly good shot at landing an interview at an Osteopathic med school. You should know that some schools require that you not have a grade below a "C" in any of the required courses. You should also try to shadow a D.O. before you apply just for your benefit so that you have an idea of how they work (you may find that it is often difficult to distiguish an MD from a DO unless the DO uses Osteopathic Manipulation in their practice). Some schools also require you to get a letter from a D.O. Since you've worked so many years in the hospital, I'm sure you've run into a couple of D.O.s. See if you can get in touch with one. If you don't know any DOs, try going through an Primary Care Physician Directory from your health insurance company or if push comes to shove, the yellow pages. You're bound to find atleast one, if not more. Contact several of them and speak of your interest in osteopathic medicine and ask if you can come speak with them in person. You may not get a "rise" out of all them, but I'm sure you'll find atleast one who is willing to meet with you.

Just based on undergrad GPAs and the fact that you're GPA in the master's program in micro is pretty good, I think you stand a good chance of getting atleast an interview. After that, all of you have to do is charm them! BOTTOM LINE: I say give it a try.

Amit

[This message has been edited by AMS-007 (edited 07-12-2000).]

Could you go to a foreign med school?

Yes, take the Kaplan. You clearly want to be an MD. Being an RN, it seems to me, is an entirely different kind of job. I would never go RN if I could not get into med school. No way! Don't want to do that kind of stuff all day. Don't think that way.

You need to get better at exams, too, because of the Boards. So take Kaplan, get your confidence up, and I bet you'll be set!

DO school is a good option. If your heart is set on MD, you don't have to get Kaplan course, just get the books from you friends
and study your ass off. get practice test from AAMC and do them. You can move your score up but you need to commit to studying for the test. Sorry there is no easy answer here + don't plan on taking this test 5 more times. just once and give it all you got.

I did the KAPLAN Course and I am a huge fan of their review materials. Teachers were O.K. but the review books and flashcards are the key. I didn't really start studying hardcore until about 2-3 wks before the MCAT. My actual score was 11-13 points higher than the first practice test I took!