MD student finishing first year, mediocre MCAT, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatshighyieldbro

Reaction score
I will literally answer any of your questions you have within reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is mediocre ? Also how was your first year ? Did you enjoy it. Do you feel like you were trailing behind your colleagues who had higher mcat scores ? Have you started prepping for steps and do you think the “mediocre score” will be a reflection on the step exam ?

Reactions: 1 users
What general advice would you give to incoming first years like me? I'm kinda nervous about all the information that's about to get thrown at me since I've been out of school for a while. Do you have any tips to make the transition as smooth as possible?

Also, what activities have you gotten involved with so far (interest groups, research, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is mediocre ? Also how was your first year ? Did you enjoy it. Do you feel like you were trailing behind your colleagues who had higher mcat scores ? Have you started prepping for steps and do you think the “mediocre score” will be a reflection on the step exam ?
50th percentile MCAT, I loved it and at no point did I feel inferior to those with higher MCAT scores. I am right now probably top 20% of the class academically. I do not think my MCAT will reflect my boards at all. The MCAT now just seems like they make it hard for the sake of being hard, it has nothing to do with medical school.

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
What general advice would you give to incoming first years like me? I'm kinda nervous about all the information that's about to get thrown at me since I've been out of school for a while. Do you have any tips to make the transition as smooth as possible?

Also, what activities have you gotten involved with so far (interest groups, research, etc.)?
I was out of school for a while too but I would say just know its going to be a grind. You absolutely CANNOT get behind in material. If your school has tutors sign up early for up, even if you do not think you will need one. Test out different learning strategies and use FA to guide you to what is important.

The first year is a lot of information but as you go along you will find that you can actually retain more and more. I remember starting out I had no clue how I would be able to study all the organ systems and know them, but my grades actually have gotten better as the systems have gotten harder. When you study spend time trying to connect concepts and understanding the physiology behind everything. If you understand phys you will understand path and pharm much easier.

I would say just go in with the mind set of working hard. If you work hard and don't slack you will be okay. Also be ready to change study habits frequently. I am currently getting into research and my school has tons of interest groups so you can attend any one of them. I do some volunteering and am actually going to tutor this next year.

Reactions: 4 users
How did you find the transition to medical school, how many hours a day did you end up studying (did you think you had to study harder than the rest of your peers)? What speciality are you applying to? Looking back do you think you would have done anything differently?

How was your GPA though? I know that can somewhat makeup for a lackluster MCAT.

How did you find the transition to medical school, how many hours a day did you end up studying (did you think you had to study harder than the rest of your peers)? What speciality are you applying to? Looking back do you think you would have done anything differently?
At first I felt as if I had to work harder than my peers, I probably studied and still study around 6-8 hours outside of class a day but class for us is only 3 hours a day. I am going to apply for either IM, EM or anesthesia. And no I would not do anything differently. I worked in healthcare prior to medical school and it helps tremendously in systems courses.

In your experience, what have you found to more useful: talent or work ethic? In other words, does hard work make up for keeping up with students who seem to naturally understand the material?

In your experience, what have you found to more useful: talent or work ethic? In other words, does hard work make up for keeping up with students who seem to naturally understand the material?
Good questions. Good thing is if you got into medical school you must be smart, therefore hard work combined with a high level of intelligence yields good results. I do have classmates who are just straight geniuses and do not have to work as hard because their retention is insane. Even so working hard is the key to doing well.

I would also like to add that working smarter not harder is also important. Change study habits to maximize time. I have probably adjusted study habits at least 4 times even though I was doing really well.

I heard there was a strong correlation between MCAT score and Step 1 score. Hopefully, you can buck this stat.
I will buck that stat...average STEP1 at my school is above national average and your school on it within the class is strongly correlated with how well you are doing in classes and on NBME exams.

How did you end up studying that worked the best for you? if possible it'd also be really helpful if you could explain the 4 types of studying that you experimented with? like what resources did you use and stuff? thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve heard there is a correlation between MCAT and step but it isn’t a strong one. At least not as strong as the correlation between science gpa and success in med school course work.

May be wrong though.

Do you feel like you have a balance with social life and med school? I’m guessing your lectures are required? How often do you hang out with friends or partake in leisure activities?

How did you end up studying that worked the best for you? if possible it'd also be really helpful if you could explain the 4 types of studying that you experimented with? like what resources did you use and stuff? thanks so much!
At first I pretty much read everything, all the readings they assigned and hand took notes. I would then just review my typed notes. Then I switched to only typing notes. Next I went to first watching videos, then reading, then reviewing my notes on my computer. Now I am watching videos, skimming the reading, and taking my notes in FA. I use sketchy, Boards and beyond/pathoma, and first aid (FA). The further you get along in medical school the more the info is thrown at you and the more you need FA to guide you to what is the most important topics.

Do you feel like you have a balance with social life and med school? I’m guessing your lectures are required? How often do you hang out with friends or partake in leisure activities?
At first not much of a balance but I have a decent one now. I hang out with friends probably once a week and now I usually relax at night. Once you get study habits down it is easier to balance your life. At first med school slaps you in the face but you start to adapt and realize you can retain and learn more information than you thought, and do it much faster than you thought.

How much free time do you have? What’s the culture like? Is your school in close proximity to the undergrad?

How much free time do you have? What’s the culture like? Is your school in close proximity to the undergrad?
Well weekends you tend to have a lot more free time if you want it. Some use it to get a little ahead, some are fine with just taking each week as it comes. Culture depends on school, if you want a top 30 school culture will be much different than the other 100 schools. I go to a mid tier school and culture is great. You can mingle with undergrads if you want but I prefer to stay away haha

How would you compare studying for the MCAT and studying for medical school? I am currently studying for the MCAT for the second time but my timing is off in terms of time management and balancing and I’m studying about six hours a day. I know medical school is more about retaining information and drilling flashcards which I enjoy a lot more than having to do question based learning. I studied the first time for the MCAT for about 8 Months and still ended up bombing it but that’s because my timing was still off and I didn’t even finish the exam on time and my stamina dropped off.

Overall, is studying in Med School like studying for the MCAT every day but for an extended period of time of two years straight during preclinical years? Imagine this is what Med School is going to be like. I Struggled in undergrad to keep up with organic chemistry and physics in the same semester with nothing else going on. I’m wondering what to expect when studying in medical school in comparison to the MCAT so I can best prepare myself for a smooth transition. From what I’ve heard so far here on this forum, I hear that they throw an ungodly amount of information at you at a ridiculous pace which I’m definitely not used to. Thanks.

How would you compare studying for the MCAT and studying for medical school? I am currently studying for the MCAT for the second time but my timing is off in terms of time management and balancing and I’m studying about six hours a day. I know medical school is more about retaining information and drilling flashcards which I enjoy a lot more than having to do question based learning. I studied the first time for the MCAT for about 8 Months and still ended up bombing it but that’s because my timing was still off and I didn’t even finish the exam on time and my stamina dropped off.

Overall, is studying in Med School like studying for the MCAT every day but for an extended period of time of two years straight during preclinical years? Imagine this is what Med School is going to be like. I Struggled in undergrad to keep up with organic chemistry and physics in the same semester with nothing else going on. I’m wondering what to expect when studying in medical school in comparison to the MCAT so I can best prepare myself for a smooth transition. From what I’ve heard so far here on this forum, I hear that they throw an ungodly amount of information at you at a ridiculous pace which I’m definitely not used to. Thanks.
Don't worry about how med school is going to go, until you actually get into medical school.

Like OP has, a 50th percentile MCAT is a must, and that probably means DO is the only door open for you (nothing wrong with that, I myself am going to be one). MD MCAT scores are typically 508+.

Don't worry about how med school is going to go, until you actually get into medical school.

Like OP has, a 50th percentile MCAT is a must, and that probably means DO is the only door open for you (nothing wrong with that, I myself am going to be one). MD MCAT scores are typically 508+.

Right I get what you’re saying but I still want to get this person’s opinion because he’s fresh in there and he scored in the 50th percentile MCAT so I would like to see what his perspective on things.

Did you initially intend on becoming a DO from the beginning or were you weighing the option of MD versus DO?
What made you choose DO? Just out of curiosity. Was it a philosophy difference or was it based on MCAT score, extracurriculars, your GPA, or maybe a combination of things?

Thank you

Right I get what you’re saying but I still want to get this person’s opinion because he’s fresh in there and he scored in the 50th percentile MCAT so I would like to see what his perspective on things.

Did you initially intend on becoming a DO from the beginning or were you weighing the option of MD versus DO?
What made you choose DO? Just out of curiosity. Was it a philosophy difference or was it based on MCAT score, extracurriculars, your GPA, or maybe a combination of things?

Thank you
Anyone who has the stats to go MD should (3.6+ GPA, 508+ MCAT).
I personally did NOT have those stats. Therefore, I was left with DO.

But honestly, it doesn't matter. I like the school I attent now in the southeast, and am grateful I am going to become a doctor. I don't want to do anything terribly competitive, so that makes going MD less important. With a solid board score I can get an Internal Medicine residency and maybe do a fellowship from there. If I do want to go a general surgery route (who's scores are droppping bc of lifestyle factor), I'll have to do that much better on boards but honestly not crazy high scores either.

Just as it didn't matter where you went to college to get into a certain med school - it just mattered on your MCAT.
For med school it doesn't matter where you go - it just matters on your indv board score to get the residency you want.

Cheers.

Anyone who has the stats to go MD should (3.6+ GPA, 508+ MCAT).
I personally did NOT have those stats. Therefore, I was left with DO.

But honestly, it doesn't matter. I like the school I attent now in the southeast, and am grateful I am going to become a doctor. I don't want to do anything terribly competitive, so that makes going MD less important. With a solid board score I can get an Internal Medicine residency and maybe do a fellowship from there. If I do want to go a general surgery route (who's scores are droppping bc of lifestyle factor), I'll have to do that much better on boards but honestly not crazy high scores either.

Just as it didn't matter where you went to college to get into a certain med school - it just mattered on your MCAT.
For med school it doesn't matter where you go - it just matters on your indv board score to get the residency you want.

Cheers.

Cool story. If I was in your position with those stats, however, especially with that MCAT score I don't see why you didn't get into an MD program. Did you have a lot of EC's, good letters of rec, research? It seems like you would've been a good candidate for an MD program minus the GPA being slightly a bit below the average matriculant. In terms of specialty I don't have my heart set on a competitive field, but would like to have the option of having those doors open. I'm going to see what happens on the MCAT but I'll probably still apply to a few MD programs, again depending on MCAT score though. If it was up to me, I'd go the MD route, but DO is an alternative option to becoming a doctor. We'll see what happens.

Cool story. If I was in your position with those stats, however, especially with that MCAT score I don't see why you didn't get into an MD program. Did you have a lot of EC's, good letters of rec, research? It seems like you would've been a good candidate for an MD program minus the GPA being slightly a bit below the average matriculant. In terms of specialty I don't have my heart set on a competitive field, but would like to have the option of having those doors open. I'm going to see what happens on the MCAT but I'll probably still apply to a few MD programs, again depending on MCAT score though. If it was up to me, I'd go the MD route, but DO is an alternative option to becoming a doctor. We'll see what happens.
You misunderstood. I did NOT have a 3.6 / 508 which is what you need for MD roughly.
I had lower and was fortunate enough to get into an osteopathic school.

But, what's the difference rly? Shoot for the stars and for that MD, but if you go DO, nothing really changes (pay, career, doc prestige, etc.)

You misunderstood. I did NOT have a 3.6 / 508 which is what you need for MD roughly.
I had lower and was fortunate enough to get into an osteopathic school.

But, what's the difference rly? Shoot for the stars and for that MD, but if you go DO, nothing really changes (pay, career, doc prestige, etc.)

Ah, I see what you're saying. My mistake. In terms of doc title, pay, and career it's the same, yes. In terms of prestige, however, it's different as viewed by the common layperson/MD counterparts/people evaluating you for residencies which have their own biases. In addition, there's more info you have to learn during school that being OMM which means you might have to take BOTH the COMLEX I, II, and Step 1 and 2. Although, I have heard that they want to officially recognize COMLEX scores as being equivalent or quite similar from a residency/scoring perspective to the Step exams which is something new for DO students that will take effect I'm not sure when. Something along those lines, I'm sure you've heard this as a DO student. This means students won't have to take both exams since they will train people on how to score the COMLEX. Thank God for that at least.

Ah, I see what you're saying. My mistake. In terms of doc title, pay, and career it's the same, yes. In terms of prestige, however, it's different as viewed by the common layperson/MD counterparts/people evaluating you for residencies which have their own biases. In addition, there's more info you have to learn during school that being OMM which means you might have to take BOTH the COMLEX I, II, and Step 1 and 2. Although, I have heard that they want to officially recognize COMLEX scores as being equivalent or quite similar from a residency/scoring perspective to the Step exams which is something new for DO students that will take effect I'm not sure when. Something along those lines, I'm sure you've heard this as a DO student. This means students won't have to take both exams since they will train people on how to score the COMLEX. Thank God for that at least.
I mean I'm taking both - why not. You learn the material to pass and do well on both during first two years anyways.
OMM to me is something I will learn and something I can bill for extra $$$ in the future.

My original intent for corresponding to you is that - take the MCAT, get your score back and apply to both MD/DO unless you got an 80th percentile score, then MD is safe.

What do you think helped you stand out in the MD application process? What would you consider the most important part of the process other than stats?

What specialties are you considering and which are absolute No’s ?

I heard there was a strong correlation between MCAT score and Step 1 score. Hopefully, you can buck this stat.

It’s a moderate correlation and even then only the Bio section really (R^2 of ~0.4-0.6 IIrC). If you look at the AAMCs graph for this, at nearly ever score range there is a huge range in Step 1 performance for the new MCAT. The floor goes up (25 percentile) as you increase the test takers MCAT score but the ceilings (75th) never rly budge that much from 510-525.

Reactions: 3 users
Well weekends you tend to have a lot more free time if you want it. Some use it to get a little ahead, some are fine with just taking each week as it comes. Culture depends on school, if you want a top 30 school culture will be much different than the other 100 schools. I go to a mid tier school and culture is great. You can mingle with undergrads if you want but I prefer to stay away haha
50th percentile MCAT, I loved it and at no point did I feel inferior to those with higher MCAT scores. I am right now probably top 20% of the class academically. I do not think my MCAT will reflect my boards at all. The MCAT now just seems like they make it hard for the sake of being hard, it has nothing to do with medical school.
I am M1 and Feel like I’m struggling every day. I am behind in the class materials. Can you please share your strategies- What should I do to keep up with all the work? Do you go to class every day? Do you pre-study before the class? Do you watch videos before or after the class? Do you use pre-made flashcards Or you make flashcards yourself? Many thanks

I am M1 and Feel like I’m struggling every day. I am behind in the class materials. Can you please share your strategies- What should I do to keep up with all the work? Do you go to class every day? Do you pre-study before the class? Do you watch videos before or after the class? Do you use pre-made flashcards Or you make flashcards yourself? Many thanks

I'm in a similar situation, what scores have you been getting on your exams? How does a normal study day go for you from wake up to sleep. Our school tests frequently like minimum 1 exam a week and on average 2 exams per week. So it's so difficulty to keep up with everything and can never pre-study.

We have exams every 3 to 4 weeks, 3-4 hours per exam. My first was biochemistry- scored 86; 2nd Genetics-91, 3rd-Physiology, 70. During the day I go to classes, Study @ night from 7- 2. I am taking pharmacology now. Seems to me very hard.
I'm in a similar situation, what scores have you been getting on your exams? How does a normal study day go for you from wake up to sleep. Our school tests frequently like minimum 1 exam a week and on average 2 exams per week. So it's so difficulty to keep up with everything and can never pre-study.

At first not much of a balance but I have a decent one now. I hang out with friends probably once a week and now I usually relax at night. Once you get study habits down it is easier to balance your life. At first med school slaps you in the face but you start to adapt and realize you can retain and learn more information than you thought, and do it much faster than you thought.
How do you study in M1? Do you do practicing questions? Do you do flashcards? Or just read a book and taking notes? What is the percentage of each method?

We have exams every 3 to 4 weeks, 3-4 hours per exam. My first was biochemistry- scored 86; 2nd Genetics-91, 3rd-Physiology, 70. During the day I go to classes, Study @ night from 7- 2. I am taking pharmacology now. Seems to me very hard.

Sorry for the late reply, it seems that you have been doing phenomenally on your exams, maybe had a little hard time with Physiology (but that is a difficult class). How have you been doing recently, did you grades climb back up? Everyone has strengths and weaknesses with material, personally for me its Microbiology (so hard to memorize all the darn bugs). Has your study schedule changed since you last messaged? If you are in class from 8 to 5 and then take a break 5-7, and start studying again from 7-2 that can be very tiresome. Especially since you're probably sleeping a little less than 6 hours.

When you study how do you attack the material, for us we have an advisor made study schedule to follow. Around 10-15 lectures per exam (but learning multiple subjects at the same time). For you if you have 3-4 weeks per exam its prolly one subject. From the 7 hours you study in the evening what do you spend most of it doing (i.e. rewatching the lectures from that day, keeping up with previously learned lectures, practice questions?). Personally, I try to follow our pre-made study schedule and then on the lectures I feel particularly weak on i'll use another source to help me better understand it. If I have time before the exam I'll try to do some practice questions to gauge my knowledge and see how they could ask questions.

The literature is mixed on this from my understanding when I've read a few papers and has reached no definitive conclusion (note that a few of the papers im talking about were of the old MCAT). Also, even when they do find positive correlation, its usually weak.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in on this since its been so long since I last read one of them.

I've heard the exact opposite.
A correlation lies more within pre-clinical GPA and board scores, which to be honest makes a lot more sense.