MD student perspective - Stay in Formal Post-Bac (linkages, $$$) or finish at State School ($)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Formal Post Bac vs. State Uni

• Total voters

CoffeeAddict25

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any MD students could offer their brain on this matter --

I'm in a formal post-bac program (career changer/non-trad) with a few linkages (like 4) to MD programs; however, it's expensive (I'm using money for a house on this instead... and concerned if things don't work out I'll just have spent down all my savings). I have 3 semesters left and I'm wondering if I should just wrap it up at my local State University.

The formal post bac is @ a well regarded private liberal arts college - expensive but does have linkages where you're basically guaranteed an interview if you meet the post bac GPA cutoff.

State university doesn't have linkages but I'd be saving a lot of money... I'd also be able to finish in 2 semesters vs. 3. I already completed 1 semester and a summer in the formal program.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO interview being guaranteed is not enough. Switch to your state U.

The med student forums are intended to host discussions that are relevant to current medical students, not as a place for others to ask questions to medical students. Med students frequently answer questions in the pre-med forum, so I am moving this thread there.

Also a DIY postbac here. Not only did I save money, but I shaved the whole thing to less than a year despite having zero science classes since 10th grade.

I think the big key may be how competitive your stats are. I can imagine linkage being more important for someone whose app is a bit lacking such that they may get screened out otherwise.