MD Surgery residencies for DO in Newyork

Started by desaiha1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

desaiha1

J Jonah Jameson
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am a first year med student. My questions is which are the good hospitals in New York in terms of experience and salary and those which accept DO students.
Any input will be appreciated
thanks
 
Good question. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to find a satisfactory answer. The local DO school, NYCOM, doesn't send all too many of its graduates into General Surgery and during my interviews at the various NY university and community-based programs, I found no DO residents.
 
In response to your question, I would look up the state osteopathic website and locate a physician that way. I thought myself I wouldn't find any DO's in some big cities but I was wrong. There are plenty of DOs in big cities. Bottom line is that there will always be greater MDs than DOs due to the sheer numbers. There are appx. 115 MD schools compared to 19 DO schools. As for specialty, I have seen DOs in every sector of medicine. The battle of DO vs. MD is only found in the pre med stages. I have never heard of the stigma once you are in medical school. Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I did not make myself clear, what I intended to ask is; which are the places in NY where DO's are accepted in MD residencies. Hope this helps clarify the point.
Thanks for the input
 
I don't have a complete list. But, these are some of the GS program in NY where NYCOM graduates went in last couple of years

Albany Medical Center
Brookdale University Medical Center
Beth Israel Medical Center
Montefiore Medical Center
SUNY Syracuse Medical Center

These are all allopathic program. There are also some osteopathic GS program in NY. Some of these are

St. Barnabas Hospital
Wyckoff Heights Medical Center
Peninsula Medical Center
Lutheran Medical Center

Hope this helps. Good luck.
 
I forgot to mention two other GS programs

SUNY Stony Brook
Nassau University Medical Center
 
thanks a ton orthodude, I really appreciate the help. Also if there is a particular website where one can find this kind of info, please let me know.
thanks again.