md to mstp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but do most medical schools offering mstp programs allow students who are already enrolled in the regular md programs at these schools to apply for transfer into the mstp program? How difficult is this to pull off? Does anyone know, specifically, which schools allow this?

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is yes. For some schools it may be a formality, for others you will be put through the competitive process again.

As srmonkey said, it is variable by school. Your best bet is to talk to the MSTP director of a particular school and inquire if they will accept candidates down the line. Since the end of year 2 is a high attrition point for many MSTPs, you may well see a slot open up. At my MSTP, we seem to always have a former straight med student in each of our incoming MD/PhD classes.

To improve your chances, you should try to bust your hump in a good lab between the summer of 1st/2nd year or even before 1st year if at all possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
An expansion of this question: Would it be possible to go this route and still arrange to have the Phd years (or the phd and the remaining MD) funded? (or alternatively: is this generally what occurs?)

Once you are accepted into a MSTP, you are accepted with full-funding for the rest of your training with a few exceptions. Most fully-funded MD/PhD programs would be the same. The MSTP exceptions would be Harvard, Hopkins, and Baylor, the only places I know of that still take MSTPs without funding. Any place (including those just named) will fund your PhD, it's just getting the funding for your remaining MD years that can be a trick. If you ever have this option I would confirm it with the MD/PhD program the school before joining the MD program.

Hi,

I know that you can transfer from a md to md/phd but can you transfer from a PhD program at a top med school into a md/phd?

Pixie

Gfunk6 said:
You can but it is much harder.
Indeed. It looks like you are trying to "back door" your way into medical school.

EvoDevo said:
Indeed. It looks like you are trying to "back door" your way into medical school.

Better a "back door" than no door at all. Besides, at graduation EVERYONE exits the SAME FRONT door! :p

pathdr2b said:
Better a "back door" than no door at all. Besides, at graduation EVERYONE exits the SAME FRONT door! :p
Look, save the lame comments, okay? I heard this *directly* from a director of such a program, not a week ago. I'm not saying that it's impossible (nor was he) but it's a bias that you'd have to work against nonetheless.

pathdr2b said:

This may be the best quote for all non-merit-based medical school entry/admission policies...

EvoDevo said:
Look, save the lame comments, okay? .

Right after you get a personality!

I don't care WHO you heard the comment from, there are a ton of OTHER reasons why a person would matriculate MD then switch to MD/PhD other than tryign to "back door" into admissions. Why don't you get yourself off that high horse you're perched on and accept a different route to success of a possible future collegue!

More power to the OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

pathdr2b said:
there are a ton of OTHER reasons why a person would matriculate MD then switch to MD/PhD other than tryign to "back door" into admissions. Why don't you get yourself off that high horse you're perched on and accept a different route to success of a possible future collegue!

More power to the OP!

evo wasn't referring to the OP, but rather the question interjected immediately prior to the comment.

Newquagmire said:
evo wasn't referring to the OP, but rather the question interjected immediately prior to the comment.

The fact is that the "back door" comment is out of line. Why should anyone care if the cell line they need for an expereiment was created by some one who "back doored" her way into med school? They don't, so why not offer some HELPFULF advice/comments to someone who may be may be struggling with an important decision.

To answer the OP's question, here are a few schools which have told me directly that you CAN transfer to the MD/PhD with the caveat that it is difficult to do: 1) UPenn 2) Hopkins 3) GWU 4) G'town 5) UNC-Chapel Hill.

And NOT ONE DIRECTOR mentioned ANYTHING about this "back door" business either.

pathdr2b said:
Why should anyone care if the cell line they need for an expereiment was created by some one who "back doored" her way into med school?

why should anyone care if the medical data they were using were obtained without consent? why would anyone care if a particular disease were studied in unwilling participants?

why worry about backdoors as long as the backdoors are screwing someone else?

tofurious said:
why should anyone care if the medical data they were using were obtained without consent? why would anyone care if a particular disease were studied in unwilling participants?

why worry about backdoors as long as the backdoors are screwing someone else?
hmmm... yeah, did you get the memo?

pathdr2b said:
The fact is that the "back door" comment is out of line.

it's not out of line, it's just an honest appraisal of how some md/phd adcoms will view the application (whether justly or otherwise).