MD to PHysician assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Atelectasis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m on my second year and I haven’t gotten any interviews in 245 IM programs and dozens of FM programs. I’m an American IMG who’s ECFMG certified.
Step 1: 207 (I know)
Step 2: 236
CS: passed second attempt (did not even practice patient notes thinking I’d have a lot more space to write)

Anyway, I’m thinking to work as a PA in the mean time until next match. Does anyone know if I could do that without going through school? Will my MD work if I just take an exam? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

So I’m on my second year and I haven’t gotten any interviews in 245 IM programs and dozens of FM programs. I’m an American IMG who’s ECFMG certified.
CS: passed second attempt (did not even practice patient notes thinking I’d have a lot more space to write)

Anyway, I’m thinking to work as a PA in the mean time until next match. Does anyone know if I could do that without going through school? Will my MD work if I just take an exam? Thanks for the help!

Essentially, no.

How are you going to work? You can't get a license as a PA, because you're not a PA. You'd have to get an unrestricted MD license, but in some states that's impossible without at least an intern year. And, even so, I don't know of many people who would be willing to hire you because, again, you're not a PA.

There is a program in rural Missouri where you could work as an "assistant physician," but I don't know much about the details. It's something you could look into. Missouri Advisory Commission for Physician Assistants

Reactions: 1 user

Do you have any serious red flags? It seems odd that you would not match applying to >240 programs in IM/FM and get no interviews or match. Even a second CS attempt would be unlikely to prevent you from matching.

If things don’t work out, could you try and scramble into a surgery prelim? It would get your foot in the door, and if you can’t find a residency after that, in some states you would be able to get an unrestricted license (you could probably do something like urgent care or wound care)

Unfortunately, many states require >1 yr GME for IMGs to get unrestricted licenses and PA programs are becoming competitive.

If you have good surgical skills, consider obtaining a surgical assistant license in TX or working as a "house physician" in NY/FL.

If I was in your position, I would join the military and register for the military match as well. I would also probably work for an FM/IM program or volunteer at one that historically takes many IMGs in order to build connections. I would also probably start looking at Pathology, Nuclear Medicine. I would also ask the dean of the med school to help get an interview.

There was a brief thread over in general issues addressing this:

Assistant Physician Questions

It references an article where despite the AP program being developed, no licenses have been granted. Unclear if it’s still true, of course.

Unfortunately some on SDN look at Misssouri as a sort of promised land for unmatched IMG MDs to practice medicine through the “assistant physician” license, and I think that simply isn’t the case. It certainly can’t hurt to investigate, but if you want to practice medicine in the US you at least need an internship, period.

Unfortunately, many states require >1 yr GME for IMGs to get unrestricted licenses and PA programs are becoming competitive.

If you have good surgical skills, consider obtaining a surgical assistant license in TX or working as a "house physician" in NY/FL.

If I was in your position, I would join the military and register for the military match as well. I would also probably work for an FM/IM program or volunteer at one that historically takes many IMGs in order to build connections. I would also probably start looking at Pathology, Nuclear Medicine. I would also ask the dean of the med school to help get an interview.
Which states let IMG have unrestricted license after one year??? I have done 19 months of residency trainning and have been looking for something like this. Please let me know!!

It references an article where despite the AP program being developed, no licenses have been granted. Unclear if it’s still true, of course.

Unfortunately some on SDN look at Misssouri as a sort of promised land for unmatched IMG MDs to practice medicine through the “assistant physician” license, and I think that simply isn’t the case. It certainly can’t hurt to investigate, but if you want to practice medicine in the US you at least need an internship, period.

Actually 100 Assistant Physicians are now licensed in Missouri, as of today.
Missouri Division of Professional Registration

I personally support the Missouri law.

Why are you not also applying to prelim/tri years?

I think it's developed now and there are 25 assistant physicians in Missouri at the moment.

Edit: I'm wrong it is 100.

As sb247 said, apply to prelim:

Consortium Announces New General Surgery Residency Program

This program just opened and is taking applications.